Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
It would be interesting to do a comparison with production and distribution costs of North Sea gas as compared with the old coal gas that perhaps a few of us grew-up with. Comparing a fuel with (I'm guessing) minimal costs to actually get it out of the sea bed (pipework and distribution network costs must have been amortised years ago) - whereas gas production from coal was continually labour intensive (think about all the miners).

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
When 10 cars are waiting for petrol when we rock up, we moan, wait for say 5mins, fuel up and go, when 20 electric cars pull up to 2 zap points.......book a fkn hotel LOL.
It wont work mainstream its impossible. Its only ticking over now because there is hardly any in existence..... relatively speaking.
Folk are assuming "what things will be like" on what is out there now.....not the future
IMO of course

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Good research Ian, I think most of the new proposed wind farms are going to all be offshore - Britain is one of the best places in the world for this as we have fairly constant wind around the nothern half of the UK.

I think wind power will prove to be moderately cost effective in the long run but you arer dead right about the massive carbon footprint of building/fitting them. It's a great money spinner though - as I said before, most of the 'green' agenda is being pushed by big business. Money first - potential planet saving second.

·
Registered
894 Posts
As a matter of interest I looked up the costings for an off grid wind generation system for home use .. the cheapest useable installation that would actually provide useable power ( when the wind blows) would be £23000 . Now that wont get you off grid, that will save you £250 per year on current energy bills and 2.5 tons of CO2 ( allegedly) The recommendation is that annual maintenance of the system will cost £300 so bang goes your saving on electricity costs , indeed your now in the minus figure's for savings.. Add to that the cost of potentially replacing the controllers at a cost of £1000 every 3 years that's another £7000 over the 20 year lifespan on the turbine , so its actually cost £40,000 to erect a white elephant ...

Its all fine to say that the land mass will be saved by erecting off shore wind farms , but offshore windfarms are even more complicated to construct and need more infrastructure to maintain ..

At least the copper mines will be busy ..

Im not green, have no aspirations to save the planet, yet im greener than most of the twats that go out of there way to be green ..

My daily is 20 plus years old and I have recycled cars close to 100 years old for practicle daily use . I have NEVER owned a mobile phone , I choose not to use to much heating because I cant afford it , I dont watch TV, I dont buy new clothes , I dont shower every day, or have the washing machine on constantly, I dont have a squad of kids, and dont generally use my car unless there is a purpose ..

Greens and folk that seem to want to save the planet have new cars , not always electric but the electric ones rape the landscape usually in 3rd world countries and exploit the population for the sake of their vanity. To afford the cost of the new car they have a decent job, probbaly based in a heated and ventilated office with fancy office furniture and tea and coffee on tap from a fancy expresso maker, They purse a lifestyle that sees them on the go most of the time , they tke holidays that fly them over the world , Every green planet hugger want to go to the Galapogus islands these days !!! go figure .. they use energy on a daily basis plugging in there go cart , ( I go for fuel on average once a month ) They tak endless shite on there most up to date mobile phone, and probably have a room in there 6 bedroom house thats dedicated to an office with 2 computers a printer, a PS2 , while each kid has there own mobile and TV in there own room , all centrally heated , eack kid will have there own mobile and the older kids will have a car each , while wifey will drop the younger ones off at school in the range rover .. before she goes to the gym , heated and ventilated and powerd by fossil fuel burning eletricity ...and each of them will shower twice a day.. and produce more waste than a small village ..

The hypocrisy of the green set is out of balance and off the scale ..but it makes them feel good.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,310 Posts
WE are amongst the the greenest motorists out there ...or are we ? Keeping an already produced vehicle on the road and running has to be a huge CO2 saving over producing newer greener vehicles to replace ours which then fail on expensive to repair electronic systems at a fraction of the age mileage of ours only to be recycled again prodcing huge amounts of pollution for numerous reasons.

Shame that most motorists are geared to the status symbol of a new vehicle sat outside as opposed to being 'seen to be green' .Shame that the UN feels it is neccesary to have zero road deaths by 2050 yet still allow manymany thousands to be killed in ongoing wars which seems a very skewed choice UNLESS their is a hidden agenda ...surely not?

EDIT WOW ,same essential thoughts whilst I was also typing Ian.

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
WE are amongst the the greenest motorists out there ...or are we ? Keeping an already produced vehicle on the road and running has to be a huge CO2 saving over producing newer greener vehicles to replace ours which then fail on expensive to repair electronic systems at a fraction of the age mileage of ours only to be recycled again prodcing huge amounts of pollution for numerous reasons.

Shame that most motorists are geared to the status symbol of a new vehicle sat outside as opposed to being 'seen to be green' .Shame that the UN feels it is neccesary to have zero road deaths by 2050 yet still allow manymany thousands to be killed in ongoing wars which seems a very skewed choice UNLESS their is a hidden agenda ...surely not?

EDIT WOW ,same essential thoughts whilst I was also typing Ian.
I often get raised eyebrows when responding with the comment "15 mpg on a run an perhaps 12 mpg urban" to the usual question "how many gallons to the mile, ha ha" - I'll additionally respond "this is 52 years old and 'greener' over its lifecycle than your little hatch-back will ever be" - they don't believe me.........

·
Registered
894 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/unlockedunitedkingdom/videos/vb.112364983833705/1010052046069751

https://www.facebook.com/unlockedunitedkingdom/videos/vb.112364983833705/1935922036562209

unfortunately Boris's girlfriend if a prominent green campaigner ... with a giant strap on

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Carrie-Johnsons-novice-friend-90-000-job.html

The fate of being lead by your knob and not by your head .. Hes evidenty not a stupid man but hes definately being lead to the whipping post by his cock ring

·
Registered
353 Posts
Watching that You tube clip it joins up lots of theories and makes sense to me
Worrying !!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Even if it was true, the people behind it would be so powerful, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The only way to make yourself feel better is to go outside and do an angry burnout:D

·
Stroker
5,517 Posts
Ok, time on me hands whilst the deluge persists outside.

i had a glorious moment of epiphany... But with a sting in the tail.

electric cars are coming on quickly so NEW fossil fuel vehicle sales will fall away from the forecourts at a good rate.
possibly leading to less and less available supplies of super unleaded. Imo

That means if you got an up together rust free hot rod it simply won't have time to rust out ever again.
A cruel fate but at least I aint ever gonna get covered in rust dust n sparks. 😆

Carr y on

Reactions: kapri

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice thread guys and gals!

Not sure where folks who are 'off grid' get all your info, but here on the Isle of Sheeps, Kent its like 'Legend time'...
Its 'post apocalypse', for us pensioners with food deliveries and nowt else!
It it wasn't for Ebay and Iceland we would have died and no one would have known...

So is there any point me getting my Mopars 'up and running' after twenty years of resto?
They is high comp 10.5 motors and don't run well on SUPER, so if that goes what's my options?
I stopped drag-racing in the early 2000's cos I couldn't afford 'racey' fuel!

I have enjoyed restoring my 'MOPE's' but looks like they won't be going out 'ANY TIME SOON', if ever after reading this thread lol...🛴🚲🧩

·
Registered
894 Posts
yep time to offload the expensive garage ornaments .. but ask yourself , whos going to buy them in 10 years time if they will be fully obsolete in 15? .. Just a thought , they will be around for a while yet but cant see them going up in value so a bad idea if you consider the cars or the parts as a long term investment .. :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Resale vale doesn't bother me. I've been losing money at this game since the day I started and I'm not about to change my habits now, LOL

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
There is some truth in that .. but I can also have some fun before then spending the doe ..
If cars are youre hobby,if you sell up,what will you spend the money on.

To many people are too hung up on the long term future and missing out on now.

No one can predict whats going to happen.

Youve been on the forums as long as me.think off all those that never built anything because they were worried about legislation and the like,or waiting for a company to build biva compliant hot rods.

Im glad most dont care as we would have nothing new to look at.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,310 Posts
We sat down about 10 years back and looked at the money we had in cars and projects . Wouldn't even buy a mid range saloon car that loses half it's value in 3 years. Been on limted income for 30 years and it 'forced' me to be even more creative when building ...which like you Ian I really enjoy . Pissing about with cars is all I've ever really done but I also enjoy driving them .

Circumstances are really ganging up on me at the mo and won't be driving for much longer .However I'll still carry on with my projects to keep me sane.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts