Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
If you look at the cost of fueling your car in an Imperial way (rather than metric) it all comes as a shock.
With Esso Synergy 99 at £1.54 a litre - in 'old school' language thats about £7 or so a gallon. I get about 16 mpg from my Vette........Sunday I was tempted to take a run over to North Weald airfield for a breadfact cup of coffee and a bacon roll at the weekly meet. It only 20 miles there so 4 gallons will comfortably cover and leave some over in case there's a problem. That 4 gallons is £30.......amazing what we are paying when you look at the cost in a different way. And that will get worse, much, much worse in future........so bad that the cost of running an electric car (even when HMG get their teeth into recouping all the lost revenue and vat from petrol and diesel) will seem cheap........

Reactions: kapri

·
Stroker
5,517 Posts
£7 a gallon in old school relation to mpg on older cars is crushing.
Each run out is justified or not :unsure:
Takes the shine off, use the car every summer weekend and you've burned £200+ a month
I can't see it getting cheaper over long term as use drops.
Pricing classic petrol cars off the road may be easier than other crap like permits, weekend use, limited mileage etc.
On the flip side if you're loaded as folks flog off the guzzlers it could be a great decade to finally drive the once unobtainable!!!!
Saw Prince Charles say he runs his fifty year old Aston on old English wine! Kool huh :cool:(y)

81 - 83 of 83 Posts