Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just to let everyone know that i build banded steel wheels , and i do it the propa way.... Safe and strong!
the rim is split in two and the band added as a lap joint , not butt welded as so many others are. each joint has 2 full lap joints fully welded around the rim making them stronger than the standard rim.
I'm qualified to do this as i'm a fully qualified pipe welder by trade.
If you have any questions or would like a set of wheels banding give me a shout. here's a couple of pics of some i done recently:tup:

http://survivor-customs.blogspot.com/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Not banding, but could you mate some 13" centres to some 14" rims???

Don't like the 13" fronts on my pop, but it's running a Herald front end...

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Not trying to piss on your parade, but I had a feeling banded rims were banned and only wider rims could be mounted on the original centres. I had some rims widened by this method back in the late '70s and due to an accident moved the car on, but this 'no banding' came up later.

Just a thought!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, have just joined the forum just to post back (just a stalker before :pmsl:) but very interested in your banding service, just a few questions:

Is it possible to alter the ET of the wheel by cutting out the centre and moving it forward/back and are you able to do this.

and what sort of price are we looking at say from a 5J rim to 10J rear and 5j to 8 for the front.. i possibly have two sets for you to do.

Thanks in advanced you can PM me if you prefer to keep it in there:)

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi m8 almost the same as the one before i have just got some smoothies and need the back spacing changed they are chrome centers raw outers 8x15 need the center bringing out 2" if you colud do this how much and were abouts are you situated thanks Rob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi m8 almost the same as the one before i have just got some smoothies and need the back spacing changed they are chrome centers raw outers 8x15 need the center bringing out 2" if you colud do this how much and were abouts are you situated thanks Rob
pm sent mate... i'm situated in the northeast , teeside
mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, have just joined the forum just to post back (just a stalker before :pmsl:) but very interested in your banding service, just a few questions:

Is it possible to alter the ET of the wheel by cutting out the centre and moving it forward/back and are you able to do this.

and what sort of price are we looking at say from a 5J rim to 10J rear and 5j to 8 for the front.. i possibly have two sets for you to do.

Thanks in advanced you can PM me if you prefer to keep it in there:)

Cheers
yeah no problem pm sent mate.
mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
i've just been looking into banded wheels and the legality of them and this is what the department of transport say!!

There are no specific regulations in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended (C&U) relating to the type of work you propose.
Regulation 100 of C&U does require that all parts fitted to a vehicle are not likely to cause a danger to the user of the vehicle or other road users. I have attached a copy of Regulation 100.
Additionally, you will need to ensure that the wheels do not protrude from the wheel arches, or that modifications are made to the bodywork of the vehicle to ensure that the wheels do not protrude.

so looks like as long as the banding is welded in a safe manner they are legal, i've got loads of mates that run them and they are all of the same opion, none of them have had any problems with the law or mot
cheers dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi Mike spoke y/day about getting you to band my volvo wheels you said i could pay via pay pal please could you give me instructions on how and where to send the money as my wife has a pay pal account
cheers mate
Dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.