Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it had to happen sooner rather than later.
broke down today, on my way home from work in the T. :sniff:
electrical i think, started missfiring and then stopped!
got it started again but would'nt rev just started to miss again and conk'd out again
it will run on tickover but not with some revs maybe the coil or condenser, do you think? cap, points look ok and plenty fuel getting to the carb

lucky a mate was passing and towed me home, only 6miles not to far

bugger :sniff:

to top it all my daily broke a front strut spring yesterday as well, im running out of cars to get to work. ill have to take the bus :sniff:

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you must be right vince, allthough i did clean the cap out at the roadside and it seemed to be dry then, anyway gave the engine a good going over when i got it home and its working perfectly again, points needed re gapping as they had closed but imm not sure if i had knock them when cleaning the points or if this was part of the problem. been out for a 20mile run with no problems tonight :D

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,752 Posts
Strangely I have the same problem on the coupe but I have electronic ignition. It was getting more frequent until the other week I had to sit by the roadside for 1/2hr to let things cool before it would run well enough to drive home. Mine would idle but not rev up, just pop and bang through the exhaust when you tried.
I suspected a problem with the coil but decided to replace the coil and module whilst the dizzy was apart. Sadly the parts arrived yesterday and they had sent the wrong module which is a pain as I really want the car for next weekend.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep that sounds just like mine, but mine just happend the once on the way home today, its been running fine up till then. i had also thought it may have been a blockage in the carb so i had the float chamber apart but it looked ok
trouble with fiddling with everything is im not sure what fixed my problem
hopfully it wont return on my way up to the "phantoms ghost town run" on the 17th

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,752 Posts
I thought mine was fuel percolation in the carbs when it first happened as it did it when stuck in heavy traffic but would always clear if you managed to get out onto the open road. Over time it did it more frequently until I realised that it wasn't fuel percolation at all but an ignition fault.
What threw me initially was that it would idle just not rev up.
My electronics are all inside a magneto look a like dizzy and I suspect that over time heat has taken its toll on things although its done a few miles with its previous owner!

Edit: In your position I would be tempted to throw a spare coil and condenser in the boot.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,720 Posts
tried the wd40 but it didnt help at the time!
If it was a damp dizzi would wd40 only keep the damp in ......Try the wd40 before the rain next time :pmsl:

(no good at whit sorry)

I hope you have many miles TROUBLE free motoring :tup:

And dont worry about the ""bang goes my reliability"" aspect you could have a car like mine where you can realie on it breaking down and worry when it dont :pmsl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.