Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember the Barlborough "Custom Car Show"??

Barlborough is a smallish village in northern Derbyshire, 10 miles south of Sheffield. I was at the show in the mid to late 80's. I think the last one would have been circa 88/89...but I may be a couple of years out. The event was held on a Saturday (maybe even a weekend.....but had a glass of wine since then) in the grounds of Barlborough Hall, on their rugby ground I think??

I recently found a photo album from 1988 and as I remember it was a great place to hold a show, close to J30 of M1, 5 miles from A1, rural location...and great driving roads close by. I had a "Cal look" Beetle back then and very much a novice, but I got a lot of inspiration from such shows. I remember seeing an early Morris van with a big block, the sheet on the drivers window said something like...."yeah but it does 15 second quarters".

Any road, if anyone remembers, be nice to hear from you.

It would be good if the event returns, if there is a bit of interest, and if we can agree a weekend next year. There must be someone out there who was involved back then. Steel City guys were perhaps involved, but forgive me I was just a whipper snapper back then, so will rely on your better memories!

Cheers,
Zed
Heathens Car Club

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi, yeh a few years have past since the Barlborough shows. They were the baby of the SPIRE CRUISER club from Chesterfield. Used to be good weekend show. I used to be a member of steel city having a long drive!? there of 3miles. Not sure why they stopped but suspect the private school decided to stop hiring out the field. You might get one of the old SPIRE lads coming on here, i think Stuart Revell was still with them in those days. Malc

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course Malc! I remember now, I had forgotten about SCC....sorry guys if any old members are listneing in!!
I'll post a couple of photos that might ring a few bells and spark a few memories.

You may be right about the hiring of the field, would seem to make sense as it would have been shame to pull the show for any other reason.

ZED

1 - 5 of 5 Posts