Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate wires - help please !!
a mates modern daily (sorry guys) has just started draining the battery overnight (its an 02 renault laguna diesel) we charged it up and tested the voltage whilst running - 14+ v with lights/heater etc on, and once its running it drives, starts, stops as normal all day,
but next morning its flat again, we put a b/n battery on incase it had a dodgy cell although the old one tested ok when charged and it still goes flat overnight!!
we've checked everything obvious, theres no lights staying on or anything silly like that and the local 'auto electrician' had it for a day to run tests and seemingly charged 150 quid to remove a fuse for the interiour lights as he said it was that - although i had already removed all the interior lights and it still went flat !!!!
so.....
could it be an internal short with the starter or alternator as these are connected directly to the battery?? if so, can these be tested/ checked at home ??
cheers guys :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
need to turn everything of . disconect battery + terminal and put an amp meter between battery and lead and post results . any more than about 1 amp is a prob . pull fuses till it drops then see what fuse powers .
 

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
There are rectifier diodes in the alternator, that can go leaky.

Only two sensible ways to tackle it, first is with a meter and see what's pulling it down, second is by dropping another alternator on, or possibly disconnect the alternator overnight, reconnect in morning and see if problem is cured. It wont fix the alternator, but you can either eliminate it, or pinpoint it as the problem.

Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i feckin hate leccy problems :tdown:
i'll try both tomorrow to see whats going on and report back

thanks again :tup:
 

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
much the same answers, from myself and my learned colleague from Vulvahampton.
A bloke at work had similar problem in his car, the radio wasn't properly turning off when it should, so that is another possible thing. A radio usually draws about 50 milliamps for memories, give or take a bit. Anything considerably greater could be a problem. You don't have any big amps in it do you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
need to turn everything of . disconect battery + terminal and put an amp meter between battery and lead and post results . any more than about 1 amp is a prob . pull fuses till it drops then see what fuse powers .
What he said - although I would say anything over 25-30mA is excessive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no amps fella, its completely standard,
i'd have thought (or expected??) a fairly big spark at the battery terminals when re-connecting if there was anything major wrong but it doesn't :S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did suggest that option before i had even taken me hands outta me pockets :lol:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top