Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 1.6 petrol transit with a starting or charging problem.
Fully charged the battery but the van would not start just a click click sound from the starter motor, so I started it up with a jump starter and it started up fine, left it running for a while then switched it off and tried starting it again all I got was the click click from the starter I tried this a few times with the same result, then it fired up and ran OK.
It was showing 12 - 13 volts across the battery terminals whilst running and when it was turned off.
How can I be sure if the battery or the alternator needs changing as if you leave it it will not start.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The battery on our Anglia showed 12v when fully charged,go to start it and the battery was nearly dead.Ours was buggered.
I'm far from an expert but battery should show about 14v when charging.So if your not showing that when it's running you could have a dodgy alternator.

Is'nt the gen light on the dash glowing red?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Check the battery cables and the terminals before anything else, they can corrode with age from the inside out.Might need replacing.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Crap earth on to block from battery. Did you put negative of starter on to battery or block?

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
batterys fecked, should be showing somewhere near 13.8V full charged. Take the battery out and fully charge it on the bench, see if it hold it's charge.
And it should show about 14.4V when running.
You could also try switching on lots of load such as heater, headlights, fog lights & wipers. If the voltage drops noticeably as you switch on each load then it's not charging.

EDIT. Any bad connections will get hot when you crank engine or apply load, so carefully check them but don't burn yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts