Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, got everything sorted for the weekend, was given another battery today that is showing 13.5 volts, but tried it out tonight and it hardly spins the motor over...

I know it's only got 'temporary' wiring in it atm, but what am I doing wrong???

Got an old pair of jump leads cut up and terminalled (!!!) to fit onto the starter, and bolted the earth onto the engine mount, there are two wires from the starter to a switch to 'start' and the 'crocodile' type jump lead ends onto the battery, with a live going to the coil...

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get a new battery??? :shake: (skint..)

Any help greatfully taken on board...

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,087 Posts
Are you SURE you have a V6 starter motor ? V4 will fit but turns it over very slowly, got the T shirt.

·
scavengers cc
2,838 Posts
i would opt for a battery that i knew was good.say off your daily if the problem still persisted i would try for a better connection on the battery.

although the battery reads 13.5 volts at the terminals possible plates inside are naff.put a tester on the battery when you go to start it and see if the voltage drops,if it only drops a little i would look at the solenoid. if it drops to say 10 volts then there wouldn't be enough to throw the starter.

that is my way of thinking.

Jack

·
Registered
392 Posts
are the jumpl leads thick as the skinny ones i had hardly turned over my 302 but when i stuck heavy duty ones on it was spinning no probs

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leads are 10mm OD and are of a multiwire composition, BUT they only have one side of the clamp that are metal, the other side is just plastic...

Gonna get some proper clamps for the battery terminals and see...

The starter is what came with the motor, straight (ish) out of the Scimitar, so I would hope it's correct... :whistle:

Just need to get in touch with my local sparky (pixie) to see if he has any useful lengths of better wire/battery clamps, but I think he is too busy chopping a Merc'... :grr:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is the starter motor earthed directly to the battery or just to the engine mount?
Stupid question but the battery is earthed to the car i suppose :giggle::whistle:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earth runs straight from engine side of engine mount (bolted on with a crimped on eye) to the battery... :beuj:

Don't forget it's just a 'get it started' wiring system... :shocked:

The starter has it's little earth strap still bolted to it???

Thats how it ran on Christmas Eve...

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
If the starter came with the engine & there's a difference between manual & auto starters, you've got the wrong starter. I've got a few here.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dunno if the starters are different between auto and manual, but it has worked, it span the motor over great with the plugs out, and it started it on Christmas Eve...

I have got some more (proper, but 2nd hand...!!!) battery cables today, so they will be fitted tomorrow evening, and I have bought some weld on bosses from work for earthing points on the chassis...

You will have to wait until Saturday to find out if it works...

As long as it's not raining, or my bare metal 'bed will be FUBAR'd... :sniff:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts