Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you fit a large battery to a small alternator ( around 10 amps ) without problems ? ie can the alternator going to be overloaded ? I'll be drawing a lot of current for a short time ie around 30 seconds and then normal running to top up the battery .The alternator is sized to provide running of normal draw with all lights etc with a little top up charge

·
Registered
639 Posts
hi kapri,
your scenario fits perfectly what happens to say for example a diesel dumper truck or tractor etc etc ,
ie big demand on start up and all day to replenish the battery ,so no nothing unusual in what you propose at all....
in fact i once worked on a belarus tractor and it used vodka or meths as a starting aid....no glow plugs at all!!-i spose use whats locally available lol!!
neil

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
With that size of alternator it is going to take a while to put the charge back into the battery the exact length of time it takes will depend on what other electrical equipment is being used while it's trying to recharge the battery. It could take a fair few hours at night with the lights on, would probably be OK if the engine was run for a long time after starting but may be a problem with frequent short journeys.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like donkey power to me :incheek:
Very scrawny ones at that !

Is the small one, like on my T too big? It puts out 50amp and i can almost fit it in my hand.
Gerry , it's integral to the engine with no larger version available. If I add another in then it takes bhp to run it . It's adequate for normal use but need to have that very heavy draw on the battery occasionally, just trying to make sure I wasn't going to bugger it !

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Ah I see. I did buy a battery for the T thats designed for exactly what you say. High output for starting and not too high on capacity. Just asked our local car pats place and they sorted it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Kev
A Battery with high CCR is what you need .
With the alternator will only pushing 10amps (120watts)?
You may be able to have the alternator uprated to increase output without increaseing
The size of the alternator just an idea!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Kev
With an alternator only pushing 10amps (120watts)?
You may be able to have the alternator uprated to increase output without increaseing

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Kev
With an alternator only pushing 10amps (120watts)?
That's very much how the Varley is specced. Thinking of going LED with all the lighting as well to lower consumption when everything is on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts