Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suppose it,s about time i started my first thread
now i was just thinking today about my best and worst moments at the drags or a rod meet, we must all have one, one that sticks in the memory still today and gives you a big smile or on the other hand makes you wanna cry
now i,ll start this of with my best memory! must have been about 92 at knebworth i was about 14 at the time, all around the bbq when my old man chucked the keys to the magnette to me and said "wanna take the car for a spin".did,nt want him to have second thoughts about it, so i asked one of his mates dave to be co pilot and off i went! all that power and little old me behind the wheel cruising around the show ground! what a memory still gives me smile whenever i think about it, got some bad ones aswell save them for later
yours please

·
Administrator
10,029 Posts
being in a 588 bhp blown Pop at Chelsea bridge as it lifted the front wheels and rocketed to 80mph in 3 seconds!!! what a rush!

Another was when Tony 'Cabby' gave me the keys to his 34 coupe at Chelsea and told me to take it for a spin :bigsmile:

Being at Chelsea in the mid '80's when there was so much bleach on the roundabout for burnouts that our trainers were sticking to the road!!

Sitting round a bonfire round the back of the fuel depot at the pod a 4am as we stayed the night with nowhere to sleep (at 14 yrs old) and getting caught by pod security and marched down the long drive and got exposure, lol!

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Billing, can't remember the year, camping near the little bridge as you enter the campsite, getting drunk in the sun holding up scorecards for each car that came past, then going body surfing in the marquee in the night !!

The first time I ever took my car to a proper custom show (Cricket St Thomas, late 80's) driving down and back in convoy.

·
Muppet
176 Posts
Best for me was driving through the gates at Knebworth for the Supernats in my first 'proper' hotrod after driving 4 hours from Plymouth without a hitch. :D

Worst was leaving the show two days later on the back of an AA wagon as I managed to destroy the front prop UJ during the weekend. :sniff:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
My best moment has to be getting it on the road closely followed by being featured

But i cant forget driving my brother's 6.5 chevy powered mk4 zephyr or my other brother's hot 5.0 ford powered opel or being offered the chance of driving cabby's gasser (i only refussed due to the steering) :sniff:

Funnieist moment was the look on Cabby's face when i through him the keys and said you cant break it worse than me (it broke down 5 minuets later) pmsfl Or the looks on my bro's face's Every time i offer them my key's

The worst time would be when i removed the sump and saw the damage :sniff:

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
First 9

I had been Drag Racing in a run what y brung sort of way for a few years, then I built a '57 Chevy drag car. There were plenty of teething troubles, breakages, you know how it goes. One afternoon in 1995 at Avon Park it all came together and I ran my first 9, a 9.8 actually. This was in an all steel Candy Red '57 Chevy and in 1995 was quite a good time. I have said many times that 'I should have stopped there and then' but I carried on and had a great time every run, even the crash but nothing comes close to my first 9.

·
Registered
773 Posts
worst
loosing my bonnet on my 107e , on the motorway .holy kripes i ws duin around 90mph and whooshhh !!! im not kidding when i say it was 30 ft in the air .and it landed on the grass verge..

best,..
comin home in mr ms d menour .or how u ever you spell it,.. after my old man bought it .on the motorway this guy in a red drop top merc posing with his blonde ,he proceeded to taunt us , he thought his crap didnt stink so we hooked up and fooked off ,.. 3miles l8ter he was approaching us at the roundabout ,with his misses loving it ,he was pissed !!! hahaha:smoke: wot a rush!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Back at the Pod about '81, I was racing me Nitro bike with the rest of the Anthill Mob. We were a bunch of clowns really - more drugs than sense (this was me Evo-Stik era, a right space cadet, didn't know where I was half the time). So I decided we were gonna be slick, like all the posh teams. So I got some white ovies and dyed them bright yellow for the burnout trolley girlie, and I had me crew chief checking to track out for the best grip and directing me. Hell, we were slick and together and organised and nothing went even the slightest bit wrong at all. Smart.

So I'm heading into stage, all sorted, lines it all up, blown Triumph giving it rice underneath me. Pre-stage, stage, amber. amber, green! Matey boy next to me leaves, I give it big licks, and... Nowt. Didn't move an inch. I'd never put it in gear... By the time I'd got sorted and off down the strip, matey boy was back in the pits having a cup of tea... :shake:

Bad enough for me, worse for the crew. I was gone at least, but they had the walk of shame with 40,000 people laughing at them.... :pmsl:

I never did it again mind.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.