Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the best header bolts to use that wont come loose and best gaskets so they dont blow

for a small block chevy

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
nothing fancy, i use the standard replacement gaskets with standard header bolts. give both sides of the gasket a smear of ordinary silicon sealer when fitting and they very rarely blow or come loose. the silicon gets squeezed round the threads of the bolts and as it's rubber the vibration of the motor doesn't shake them loose. done this on all sorts of v8's and it works for me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i use copper header gaskets , these work well for me and are reusable , with stainless arp fixings,

·
Stroker
5,468 Posts
nothing fancy, i use the standard replacement gaskets with standard header bolts. give both sides of the gasket a smear of ordinary silicon sealer when fitting and they very rarely blow or come loose. the silicon gets squeezed round the threads of the bolts and as it's rubber the vibration of the motor doesn't shake them loose. done this on all sorts of v8's and it works for me.
That sounds good!
I have arp 12 pointy bolts into ali heads and they rattle loose enough to blow the end of the gaskets out. :cry: on a regular basis.

Was gonna try studs into heads to hang headers on as it's so tight for access but clearance is tight.
It's a right cnut leaning over fender holding header and trying to get bolt to catch. :S

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
That sounds good!
I have arp 12 pointy bolts into ali heads and they rattle loose enough to blow the end of the gaskets out. :cry: on a regular basis.

Was gonna try studs into heads to hang headers on as it's so tight for access but clearance is tight.
It's a right cnut leaning over fender holding header and trying to get bolt to catch. :S
I used the intumescent gaskets and stopped the rattling out. Only problem is getting the rear LHS (facing the engine) tight! It is a bugger holding the header up, but I get the front one in and go from there. Same if the full exhaust is connected.
Tried studs, but the nuts are too big to clear the headers! Ended up with ARP as the only one that fits, without their washers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts