Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to prep a Camaro subframe this weekend for paint and have been looking at various cups brushes etc.

Before I commit myself to spending cash any recommendations?

Want to use it on my lekky drill. Also where to buy would be usefull.

P.:D

·
Registered
872 Posts
It depends how much rust and crap you need to shift. Generally I find drill attachments a little lacking unless it's only light work. If you really need to get stuck in, the attachments you can get for angle grinders are far superior. I use a cup one and it works very well. A word of caution though, it's a fierce device, mind how you go with it. If you do only need drill attachments, try one of those cheapo kits with several different types in, wheels are good for flat surfaces, and the brush type ones (hard to explain, but like a round paintbrush) are good for poking into tight corners.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Aldi had a good deal on some last week . Two of those heavy gauge twisted wire brushes , a cupped one , a 90º to the tool one and two of those flappy grinding disc things all to fit a 14mm thread angle grinder £6.99 the lot .

The grinding discs didn't last long but the wire brushes are holding up well .

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Gentlemen will pop inti my local Aldi and see what they have.

Managed to scrape most of the the crap off and then loosened up the rest of it with a mixture of fairy liquid and bleach applied with a scubbing brush, left for half an hour and then blasted off with my pressure washer.

The grinder idea seems like the best one then, will report back after the weekend.

P.

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Grinder version is good for getting lots of nastyness off , drill version is better for getting into tight spots. Watch the cheap ones , they shed hair more than I do & the bristles get stuck in your clothing & work their way ino your fleshy bits. They go deep too , I've pulled 1/2" of steel out of my arm before now:shocked:
Make sure it is balanced too , an offset one will shake your fillings loose:tdown:

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
if you have a 4.5 imch grinder i found some disc;s that have what looks like black sponge its brill on metal i stripped my hole car, it comes up brilliant silver bat it,s not to good in tight area,s

·
Registered
267 Posts
Twish knot brush on a grinder is my weapon of choice. Strips paint and rust back to shiny metal in seconds. Great for those welding jobs but doesn't thin the metal like the flap discs can do.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Twish knot brush on a grinder is my weapon of choice. Strips paint and rust back to shiny metal in seconds. Great for those welding jobs but doesn't thin the metal like the flap discs can do.
x2.
The Angled ones not the cup. The cup one is very hard to control and destroys the grinder bearings in no time :shake:
I've tried loads of different makes of angled ones and all tend to shed their wires, which,as said, embed themselves into you to varying depths. My preferred ones are the Titan range from Screwfix. They don't shed the wires at the same rate as some of the more expensive ones and last quite a while. The best tip I can offer as well is use a light pressure. That way you'll have more control. Don't forget shop safety. The wires make you bleed so imagine any getting to your eyes.

I use a full face visor guard and wear an old leather jacket, I got from a thrift shop for a tenner, while grinding and this stops the wires penetrating clothing and skin..

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use these too, but I only use the flat ones as you can usually turn them round to cut like new again !

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
I've also tried the flat ones but found they shed the wire quicker than the angled and usually more towards your face than the angled ones. Your choice though.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts