Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to various Muppets cancelling my bids on eBay it wasn't worth me doing my usual miandering down to Hampshire and the international autojumble(dodgy old crap sale).was it any good or just the same rust n tat.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
Did both days but it was disappointing for me. Saturday was busy but not many on Sunday, the number of stalls were down compared to when I last went. Not many panels, chrome or trim for any make of car and maybe it’s just me, but I hate it when sellers just leave piles of bits in boxes! One stall holder tried to sell me a used welding helmet for the same price I could buy an identical new one……

Very few bargains at all. Even decent tool stalls were scarce.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As expected,eBay and the Henry Cole(let's sell crappy tin cans and other useless man cave drivel)effect are having the effect of publicisizing autojumble and the only stuff to buy is tat

·
Registered
937 Posts
This has been happening for years at Beaulieu. I remember for the first few years of going you could pick up some good deals, if you knew what fitted what. Interesting old stuff was emerging for the first time. Then it was stalls selling new Chinese tools - how many sets of spanners and wire brushes did I buy? What got me was that it was getting more expensive to get in, but stallholders increasingly had to pay a small fortune to be there. Haven't now been for ten years or so.

·
Vendor
3,418 Posts
Plant Window Flowerpot Wood Brick

I,ve been going for years , personally I don't think it is that expensive to get in if you're a buyer, if you're looking for original stuff used or nos I've alway found plenty of it , its not the place for American cars/hotrod stuff that's for sure and I own all three categories , I never made it this year or last due to covid travel restrictions and me flying from San Francisco , this year I would have thought would have been a good time to go as it would,nt have been so crowded I found all the original switches for my A40 pickup a couple of years ago which to some might be old tat if you don't own an A40 ,all manner of old jag parts I needed even bought a set of chrome corvette style rally wheels with tyres at cheap money and a free delivery to the car park for a mate of mine in Essex , for me I enjoy any kind of swap meet/autojumble whether I buy anything or not its the will I find it won't I and talking to car guys that have the same passion as you do no matter what make or model their into , I walk straight past all the new cheap tools wire brushes aftermarket steering wheels god awful massive chrome plated wheels etc , is there old tat yes, are there arsehole sellers that want the price of gold per ounce for scrap and have that if you don't want it piss off attitude of course but that's par for the course at any swap meet , my take on those are good luck with that old mate and walk on , I found an nos front grille panel for an Austin loadstar lorry and an east Kent bus stop sign didn't need either but coming from kent and my old dad being a commercial motor trader when I was a kid I bought both and enjoy looking at them every morning when I walk through the garage and out to the back garden is it old tat probably was it a royal pain in the arse getting the grille shell back to America on a plane yup but I had fun negotiating with the sellers and I,ll be back next year if I,m allowed to fly .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts