Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont no weather this has been bought up before but while i was reading a copie of retro ford about all the mods done to a nice 100e it occured to me that dvla could buy loads of mags,cc, ford, vauxall, retro rides the list goes on, then they could get the reg number and take action, and make us go through sva or biva, bit worring dont you think:tdown:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Sorry but have 'you' all only just got to sussing this out ? They have got vast amount of info from forums and there have been repurcusions from many postings already ...some not yet apparent.

Stop and remind yourself before you push send .." do I want EVERYONE in the world to be able to read this ? " .

Sometimes PM is a better method of communication.

·
depositionist
184 Posts
Soory, got to ask why devious ?
the dvla & vsoa have got how ever many numpties searching magazines, forums etc to catch an individual trying to bend the system in their favour for a coulpe of hundred quid a year.
but on the other hand we've got the top bods out there screwing the system for thousands & fuck all is done about it. yet again it's nail the little bloke for every penny they can get.

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
dont no weather this has been bought up before but while i was reading a copie of retro ford about all the mods done to a nice 100e it occured to me that dvla could buy loads of mags,cc, ford, vauxall, retro rides the list goes on, then they could get the reg number and take action, and make us go through sva or biva, bit worring dont you think:tdown:
Now you know the reason for the 'free' road fund license for pre 73's - encourage us all to 'sign up' and let them know all about us.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Free road tax was , IMO, the single worst thing to happen to our scene.

Building on the back of that the FBHVCC did wonderful survey and presented to to HMG saying that ALL users of the scheme only do 1500 KM per year. How you going to argue if they say that IS all you can do ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
the dvla & vsoa have got how ever many numpties searching magazines, forums etc to catch an individual trying to bend the system in their favour for a coulpe of hundred quid a year.
but on the other hand we've got the top bods out there screwing the system for thousands & fuck all is done about it. yet again it's nail the little bloke for every penny they can get.
I'm not trying to be arguementative here, or support DVLA /VOSA / DfT ,in fact as part of ACE (www.the-ace.org.uk) I spend a lot of time doing exactly the opposite .However it's about being objective

That's akin to saying " the bloody Police came round and all I was doing was selling a little dope , they should go after the big pushers "!

Bending the system is using a legitimate loophole to your advantage . Robbing a bank is not the same as making a cashpoint withdrawal .

I have every sympathy with those caught out because DVLA have not made the rules available and transparent and they have unknowingly and unwittingly got into trouble.

Take the fact of saving the Road Tax out of the equation and what would you arguement come down to then ?

Remember it was the Government that GAVE us 'Free' Historic tax in the first place , it's NOT a right . If they placed restriction on the use how could you argue against it , after all how often do you get something for nothing without some form of restrictions ?

Looking to blame others for the consequences of your own choices and decisions is all too common nowadays.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Now you know the reason for the 'free' road fund license for pre 73's - encourage us all to 'sign up' and let them know all about us.
Trust me with the info their computer system can generate they didn't need it for that purpose. You'd be totally amazed what info they can produce ,about a car, person , or address with the push of a button.:shock:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Trust me with the info their computer system can generate they didn't need it for that purpose. You'd be totally amazed what info they can produce ,about a car, person , or address with the push of a button.:shock:
Shame they dont use the same software to catch all the terrorists and illegals in this country :shake:

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
True enough - its easy to lay the blame on this - its only since the advent of 'free' rfl that these things have become more apparent - and whether or not you pay for the road fund license SORN still applies.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Although I do not agree with all this "testing" . I feel it is a way of generating money for the coffers. I still dont understand why they just cant give u, for example a V5 with "replica 32/34 etc" with a proper reg number. DVLA must have millions of numbers sitting around gathering dust. Its unfair whats happening but what can we do, its here for however long, whether we like it or not, we can shout, petition, demonstarte, will they listen, no they wont. Bottom line its all about revenue, so what else is new. Me, I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a Q plate. Theres always alternatives to "rods" for me, tri chevys, muscle cars. Its our choice what route we go down, well it is at the moment.

PS is the test a one off or annually?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Nope Vince it's NOT about revenue, VOSA run the scheme at a loss !!

It's about a method of registering home built cars that WE fought for .

Without it we would be like the rest of Europe , unable to modify at all.

I'll also repeat it is NOT something being forced on us by the EU, they hate the fact that we have it and don't want us to build at all. Using the test is sticking two fingers up to them.

I have the all the mag articles of how we fought for this back in 1977 ( supplied by Mopar on here ) . 'You' do need to understand this rather than some made up version of events and subsequent paranoia.

I've found that Q plate cars do tend to handle rather differently in bends , I think it is the additional weight of the tail of the Q that cause this ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Although I do not agree with all this "testing" . I feel it is a way of generating money for the coffers. I still dont understand why they just cant give u, for example a V5 with "replica 32/34 etc" with a proper reg number. DVLA must have millions of numbers sitting around gathering dust. Its unfair whats happening but what can we do, its here for however long, whether we like it or not, we can shout, petition, demonstarte, will they listen, no they wont. Bottom line its all about revenue, so what else is new. Me, I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a Q plate. Theres always alternatives to "rods" for me, tri chevys, muscle cars. Its our choice what route we go down, well it is at the moment.

PS is the test a one off or annually?
The reason they can't just give you a plate is that since 1998 there is an EU wide LAW that states cars cars must meet Type Approval regulations.

The BIVA test is the Amateur Built version of this that WE fought to have .

If you want a 30's car then buy one, a REAL one, with all that entails and keep it within the 8 points system and you'll never have to worry about a BIVA test.

·
Box 500
188 Posts
I think the bottom line is that they want to get rid of modified cars full stop. Proof is they had the SVA in place that was quite a stringent test that they thought we wouldn't be able to build to, when they see that we were prepared to change our cars to suit so they made it tougher by bringing out the BIVA. I bet in the back of their minds they think "the bastards got cars through our SVA now surely the BIVA will feck them". I bet when they see loads of kit cars and modifieds getting through they will bing some other super BIVA out.
This is why I can see we need ACE

·
Registered
391 Posts
Kev, as you know I was one of those that said and believed "all bollox, never happen blah blah" I now have a different opinion, sticking the finger upto the EU is well good. All interesting stuff seeing vehicles going thru testing. some of the bits u have to have are just plain ugly but some u dont really notice. Still going to sit on the fence to see how it all progreses. Still curious to see how varying styles of "rods" will fair.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.