Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mulling things over about my lack of reverse using a bike engine, Now this is a IF question, If I used a sensible sized inertia starter motor, remove the bendix, and retrofit a larger shaft which I can fit a prop flange to. obviously the motor would be fixed to the chassis. energise the motor, and I should have a reverse, possibly use a variable resistor, I can have speed control too.
My thinking is if I do this the motor will turn into a dynamo, creating drag, which I don't really want, how can I isolate the it so It doesn't create drag, Is there a way to do this, isolate the brushes??

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Ian,
We were talking about just this yesterday to someone with a bike engined 7 replicar, he said he runs a caravan parker motor with it's drive wheel running on one of the rear tyres, push on the lever behind his seat and it sits on a hook to tenison drive, switch on and it goes backwards. Very low tech, cost pence of eBay, but it weighs very little and when not in use there is no drag. I thought it was genius, if a tad odd.

Chaley

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Can't you just sandwich a flex plate with a ring gear between the prop flange and axle flange and then just use an ordinary starter motor mounted on a bracket to the rear axle.

Once you have the clutch pressed or neutral selected you just press a button to reverse. I have seen this setup used on a bike engined kit car type vehicle.

Edit: An alternative would be to use an overun device to stop the starter being driven. TTry Googling "sprag clutch" or "trapped roller clutch"

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chaley, A similar idea had crossed my mind, using a geared wheelchair motor, and a skateboard wheel attached to it, either a lever or a screw actuator to push it against the wheel, The idea is simple, but I want to run fenderless, which makes it hard to disguise and out of sight., unless--------- I can get it to swing down from behind the inner arch.
The idea of the motor in the prop has its advantages, it allows me to have a fixed position at the front of the prop to get my drive chain attached to, the motor could act as a double plumber block, a sprocket on one end and prop flange on the other,

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
Just had a thought on the caravan mover, use it against the propshaft ?

Meanwhile back to the original thoughts use a aircon drive pulley ,switchable electro-magenetic on off .

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had a thought on the caravan mover, use it against the propshaft ?

Meanwhile back to the original thoughts use a aircon drive pulley ,switchable electro-magenetic on off .
I can see what you are saying about the clutch, I'm not sure if I could get the gearing to suit, the od of the clutch pully is quite big. to get the gearing right I would need to reduce the dia by at least half, and not sure of the capability of the clutch, the clamping area is not great.
If I can use the motor inline, it sorts out quite a few packaging issues I have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.