Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Were all those pics from the same show? The Boyd's roadster looks about 10 years later than the other cars. Not meant as a criticism of the Brit built rods but it must have looked a tad out of place among the chrome and metalflake.
Nice T bucket too.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
were all those pics from the same show? The boyd's roadster looks about 10 years later than the other cars. Not meant as a criticism of the brit built rods but it must have looked a tad out of place among the chrome and metalflake.
Nice t bucket too.
that roadster pic was 1983 april ,at a guess there would nt have been more than 4 years differance if differant shows,i can t remember.the first one i went to was about 79

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's a few studies of the Coddington Roadster from my own collection taken at the International Custom & Sports Car Show April 1st-5th 1983. I believe from the programme notes that Boyd, together with the roadsters owner Jamie Mussleman and their wives came across to England for the show courtesy of Street Rod & Machine Monthly magazine publisher Alan Martin. I'm sure he'll be along to correct me if this is correct.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Correct, Boyd, Jamie and Teri Musselman and Jay Storer came over with the car. Boyd flew over with the car on a Flying Tigers freight 747, the others came by passenger jet. Tony Bullimore, the leaseholder for Bingley Hall and boss of the show contacted me about getting something special over for the show. I hooked him up with Jay Storer and he flew to LA and Jay took him to meet Boyd. Tony agreed to finance everything, Boyd saw it as a good pr excercise so it was all settled. While here, they visited Stratford, bought out much of Royal Worcester and Brierley Crystal and generally did the tourist thing.
One odd thing about the trip was that due to a mix up over transport for the roadster from Heathrow, we were all stranded for hours. Jamie and Teri went into London for the day while Boyd and I (along with my wife) waited at the freight terminal. We eventually sorted getting the roadster, still on its shipping 'pallet' transported to Birmingham by truck, only it wouldn't be leaving till 3am! Boyd and I waited to travel back with the roadster and my wife took Jamie and Teri back to their hotel in Birmingham...

...in her Citroen 2CV.:D Considering Jamie was a very wealthy Texan oil man he was ok with the deal and laughed it off, I still have his address and phone number, maybe I should plan a holiday in Texas. By the time we got the roadster on the stand at Bingley Hall I'd been up for 36 hours and we still had the magazine stand to set up.
Over the weekend, Tony Bullimore took everone out for a meal and despite it being April, it started snowing heavily at which point Teri left her food and dashed out into the snow like an excited five year old. They don't get too much snow in their part of the world.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
1st one was boyds[bless him]im sure this had a guard by it
Not a guard as such, the Mid England Roadsters were the host club for the shows and members took it in turn to babysit the car and answer any questions. You can just see one of them sitting behind the car wearing one of the club's black bowling shirts. Damned if I can work out who it is though.

·
Care in the Community
2,757 Posts
Correct, Boyd, Jamie and Teri Musselman and Jay Storer came over with the car. Boyd flew over with the car on a Flying Tigers freight 747, the others came by passenger jet. Tony Bullimore, the leaseholder for Bingley Hall and boss of the show contacted me about getting something special over for the show. I hooked him up with Jay Storer and he flew to LA and Jay took him to meet Boyd. Tony agreed to finance everything, Boyd saw it as a good pr excercise so it was all settled. While here, they visited Stratford, bought out much of Royal Worcester and Brierley Crystal and generally did the tourist thing.
One odd thing about the trip was that due to a mix up over transport for the roadster from Heathrow, we were all stranded for hours. Jamie and Teri went into London for the day while Boyd and I (along with my wife) waited at the freight terminal. We eventually sorted getting the roadster, still on its shipping 'pallet' transported to Birmingham by truck, only it wouldn't be leaving till 3am! Boyd and I waited to travel back with the roadster and my wife took Jamie and Teri back to their hotel in Birmingham...

...in her Citroen 2CV.:D Considering Jamie was a very wealthy Texan oil man he was ok with the deal and laughed it off, I still have his address and phone number, maybe I should plan a holiday in Texas. By the time we got the roadster on the stand at Bingley Hall I'd been up for 36 hours and we still had the magazine stand to set up.
Over the weekend, Tony Bullimore took everone out for a meal and despite it being April, it started snowing heavily at which point Teri left her food and dashed out into the snow like an excited five year old. They don't get too much snow in their part of the world.
Great story Alan. :tup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's a great story. I take it Diane was Boyd's first wife back then; the argumentative accountant that everyone loved to bitch with back at the Coddington shop. Just watching some old re runs of American Hot Rod on Quest weekdays at 7.00pm. Incidently I have some more photos from the show to put on this thread, and now that I found my copy of the show guide hopefully I'll be able to put a few names to the cars featured.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Paul Wayling's 1939 440ci Olymouth Coupe.

Steve Jackson's 1970 Corvette Stingray.

1956 283ci Chevy Belair belonging to Ken & Denise Holmes.

Another Corvette Stingray in the hands of Mick Hall.

650cc Trike of Dave Morgan which at the time was for sale at two grand.

Phil Brown's 3500cc Model T.

All images from the Jerry Cookson Collection

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Thanks for that Alan,great story !,Bry

·
Registered
141 Posts

The good old General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard County.

The Apollo Jag powered Altered.

Phil Bowen's Model T.

The 1963 Triumph Hearld of Richard .

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
Not a guard as such, the Mid England Roadsters were the host club for the shows and members took it in turn to babysit the car and answer any questions. You can just see one of them sitting behind the car wearing one of the club's black bowling shirts. Damned if I can work out who it is though.
40stude , thats gary sutton , alan suttons brother and they are both my brothers. i remember that show , i was 11 years old then and helped out with it. adrian ( stumpy).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts