Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
i just bought a hurst competition plus shifter and bracket off a guy (cheers martyn) here on rodsnsods. although i got the right handle for the inland shifter that came with the box i wanted a hurst one so it was just a case of waiting for one at the right price.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
also today my mate with the red bubble arched anglia dropped off his new (to him) anglia estate for some work. it's got a 1600 xflow, disc brakes etc the normal stuff. it still had the pea shooter stock type exhaust though. he'd sourced a used bigger bore system off of another anglia but it needed a bit of tweeking as it came from a saloon. i got that done and fitted so now there's just a rev counter to fit that he left here too. i'll get a couple of pics of the car tomorrow.
neil.

·
Pie Eater
153 Posts
i just bought a hurst competition plus shifter and bracket off a guy (cheers martyn) here on rodsnsods. although i got the right handle for the inland shifter that came with the box i wanted a hurst one so it was just a case of waiting for one at the right price.
neil.
No problems dude. Let me know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
i finally got the valiant in and up off the ground today, my new 2 post lift works a treat (y). my ceiling height limits me to having only 4 feet under the car but that's much better than being on my back with the car on chassis stands.
now i can get to work
:).
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
i forgot to add this yesterday so there's 2 parts to it so far, yesterday's first.
i started a project for a mate (i won't say who, he may do a build thread on here) who wants better brakes for his traveller he's just bought. he'll be swapping in a more modern engine/box too and has an mgb rear axle so the mgb front brake swap made sense so the wheel pcd is the same.
first step was to strip all the bearings and seats from both hubs for a measure up, followed by a call to my local bearing supplier to see if there were any off the shelf bearings and seals to combine the minor spindle and mgb hub (stranger things have happened). no to the inner and seal and yes there's a listing for the outer but it wasn't one they'd ever kept. so plan b is make whatever spacers/sleeves are needed to use stock minor/mgb bearings and seals. i've made hard nylon spacers for the seals so i can use minor ones and i'll be making aluminium spacers/sleeves to use both inner and outer mgb bearings. once the hubs are bolted to the uprights i can move onto caliper brackets but that's the relatively easy part of the job. pics tomorrow once there's something to see.
cheers, neil.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #468 (Edited)
part 2, today's update and some pics.
we're getting there, today i made all of the bearing spacers and machined one of the mgb hubs to move the outer bearing in so i could still get a split pin in the castle nut. the second hub's on it's way so that one can get done too. i've mocked one side up and tomorrow i'll be starting the caliper brackets. here's some pics as promised and yes the caliper's upside down but i only have one upright and one caliper to mock up with so......
neil.
ps the sleeves will be loctited to the spindle on final assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
i've decided to sell my other 2 projects so i can concentrate on the valiant. see the for sales on here.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
after lots of measuring i made a steel 'disc/ring' part that bolts to the 4 bolt holes that used to locate the drum backplate and fits inside the bell of the disc while cleraing the hub. from this i can get up the the caliper and i've got a plan for this. it'll probably be monday now, but it's a start.
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
yesterday and today i got the caliper brackets finished up, the last pic shows the complete 'kit' with only the hub machining needed to assemble it all. i'm waiting for the other mgb hub to arrive so i can get the machining needed all done and it can all go back to him ready for when his traveller arrives.
neil.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
yesterday and today i got the caliper brackets finished up, the last pic shows the complete 'kit' with only the hub machining needed to assemble it all. i'm waiting for the other mgb hub to arrive so i can get the machining needed all done and it can all go back to him ready for when his traveller arrives.
neil.
Very professional looking job!

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
finally something that's actually 'for' this car got done today! after getting my plasma cutter out and making it's new home i sorted some 6mm plate and cut out the parts for the rear leaf spring perches. i'm making them from 3 pieces and the reason is to centre the wheels in the rear arches (they're slightly forward stock). i've made the flat bit that sits on the spring too long so once i'm happy with the wheels position i can tack the parts together and to the axle casing then trim off the excess when i fully weld them. the side parts were clamped together so i could grind them all to the same shape/size.
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
i couldn't wait 'til mockup friday when ashley's coming here to help so i decided to move the axle back 1/4", so welded the perches at that measurement. in my head i seem to remember it's 1/2" but i can always add a 1/4" plate between the spring hanger and chassis if it's not enough. so i now have 2 perches ready to fit
:)
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
first day back on it and we did quite well i think. we removed the old rear axle and leaf springs, modded the explorer spring plates to take the mopar shocks and bolted the explorer axle in place with it's slot mags. last job was get it back on the deck and make a decision as to whether the stock front suspension will stay for this summer (at least) or to fit the straight tube now. it all hinged on how high the back sat and how much arch to tyre gap it had. luckily the tyres clear fine (it helped i'd rolled the arch lips previously) and it wasn't too high.
so for now the front end stays so we fitted the pcd adapters and the skinny front slot mags. i've got /6 to sb v8 conversion mounts here so tomorrow it looks like after i cut the tunnel for the manual trans' we'll be hanging the motor in there, woohoo!
here's some pics, i'm very happy :)

neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
we had another good day today. while i repaired the k member butchery i'd carried out fitting the 383 ashley started polishing the slot mags
. next i cut out the tunnel ready to fit the manual hump and added reinforcement to the inner wing where the z bar pivot goes as this car was auto before. we then pushed it outside to turn it round to fit the motor (taking pics while outside of course). lastly we bolted on the trans dapt mounts ready to fit the motor. at least we would have if they both fitted my 318. the drivers bracket appears to be for a 360 as i'd need spacers to bolt it to the 318. as luck would have it my box of bits included an original 318 driver's side mount, result. so the motor is now in there.
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
i keep forgetting to say, the 2 post lift and transmission jack are a godsend for this kind of work. even though it'll only get 4 foot off the ground due to my garage roof height it's so much better than laying on my back
:thumbsup:

neil.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looking good, glad your back on it . My new scissor lift is great but can only get about 3 1/2 foot due to roof .

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #480
Looking good, glad your back on it . My new scissor lift is great but can only get about 3 1/2 foot due to roof .
me too mate, and whatever we can do to make things easy is a plus in my book.
neil.

461 - 480 of 486 Posts