Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Is it worth fitting an led instead of a bulb for your oil pressure light? They last longer and it’ll save all that agro to get to it if it blows again.
it won't be so bad next time as the a/c vent box isn't going back. also next time the dash will be out to have the autometer gauges fitted so i'll use all new warning light assemblies (maybe led) then.
neil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
today i mostly stripped the 383 engine out of my mate's monaco. i just have the damper, timing cover and set before the crankshaft comes out to go for a grind. that is if it's not too far gone on no's 1 and 2 big end journals. they are worn pretty bad with a noticeable ridge in the centre between them. the bores are all good though with no lip to be felt on all 8 which is a plus. the oil pickup pipe was loose which would contribute to the bearing wear as air could be sucked up into the oil pump, not good. the cam and lifters are toast so will need replacing too. my mate was told the heads were 'gone through' recently, but i'll strip them while the crank's away just to be sure having seen what the rest is like.
neil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
only had an hour this evening, but i made brackets for the throttle return springs and mounted and wired the new coil along with fitting a bypass wire to the ballast resistor with piggy back connectors so the original wiring is unchanged there. oh and i fitted the air filters as they'd arrived, after all they are shiny so it'd be rude not to
:lol:

neil.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
i nearly forgot i finished stripping the 383 today and dropped the crank' off to my machinist for a regrind. 2-3 weeks before he can get to it but that's fine as i've plenty of other stuff to do before then. here's a random pic.
neil.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
i keep saying i'm buying rather than making some parts that will speed up this build, on that basis i just ordered a summit 2.5 inch header back full exhaust system. i have a pair of almost new (swapmeet buy) flowmaster mufflers and may use them instead of the ones in the kit, i'll see how they'll work. i usually make my own using pipe and mandrel bends but this will save a lot of time so.....
the copper sheet arrived today so if it cools down later i'll get my plasma cutter out and have a go at making the header gaskets, how hard can it be? 😉
neil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
back to the header gaskets and actually it was pretty easy and all it cost me was the copper sheet 😁
i did the first one this morning while it was cool in the garage (i wasn't allowed to be noisy last night :rolleyes:) and it came out just fine. not cnc accurate but offered against the head it covers all of the sealing area tight to the port shapes so that's all it needs to do. i first offered the supplied gasket up and drew on a pad where the 'alterations' needed to be so when i traced round the gasket i could draw them onto the copper. once the other one's done i can finally bolt the headers up tight.
neil.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Looking good Neil
thanks mate (y)

the second gasket was much easier/neater to cut out once i'd fitted new tips to the plasma cutter. nice thin, neat cuts which required a lot less clean up. both sides are now bolted on with just one tweek needed, although they match the outer shape of the supplied gaskets they sit slightly higher than the header where the spark plug access areas are so i can't get a socket on the plugs :rolleyes: . i'll have to put some tissue in the plug holes so i can shave them down with my die grinder for clearance, not a bad job. next header area job was clearance on one tube to the steering coupler, which meant removing (cutting off) the metal part that holds the rubber dust cover in place and chamfering the top corners of the coupler. then i trimmed the rubber so it would just push into the coupler and made a split top hat type part that goes against the rubber holding it in place. these halves are secured with a jubbly clip which i then painted black to 'lose' it.
lastly as it was getting late i got out the grant hub and horn push i'd bought and fitted my old superior wood rim steering wheel which polished up nice. nothing like losing power steering then fitting a smaller wheel to make it even heavier :unsure: .
next...... errrr, will be plug wires i guess then some fluids.
neil.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
i had one of those when i was young and cared :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
not much done today. i 'nibbed' the copper gaskets back with my die grinder and a tungsten bit but still had to reduce the diameter of the plug socket on my lathe. the plugs are all in and tight now ready for making the plug wires.
next i ran the battery cables to the starter, changing the activator wire connector for a spade to suit the new mini starter. then i made a bracket from under the chassis with a rubber sleeve on it to cable tie them to so they can't touch the header tubes either side of them.
as i said not much but it all needs doing so.....
oh, and i filled the engine/rad' with an antifreeze mix and there are currently no drips anywhere. result!
neil.
 
521 - 531 of 531 Posts
Top