Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
581 - 593 of 593 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
got ashley's zephyr in to fit the secondhand griffin rad' his boss gave him and a b&m shifter i gave him (he's a lucky boy, lol). the rad' must've been from a ford as the hose outlets were the wrong way for his chevy small block, so i got my mate to swap them over, blank the holes and add top and bottom brackets. all done and filled so it ought to keep the coolant inside now unlike the leaky caprice rad' it had before. shifter next.
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
ashley called me this afternoon to ask if i'd started to swap out the shifter in his zephyr. daz' cruise night is tonight he says and do i want to take the valiant and he'll take the zephyr. hell yeah! it's about 15-18 miles each way so just right for a first run out and close enough to home if there's any issues. it all went well, the brakes are crap (but i knew that), the carbs want at least a strip and clean and the propshaft needs balancing. other than that it's just great and those issues won't stop me using it, i'll just work at/live with them until i pull it apart for the straight tube axle install this winter.
oh, and ashleys zephyr runs nice and cool now with the griffin ally rad' i fitted yesterday so he's happy too.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
on the isle of sheppey, aka alkatraz ;)

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·
been out in the garage tinkering today before a test drive again. first job, the carbs. i started the car and warmed it up so it'd idle then checked the float levels first. the secondaries on the front carb and both on the rear one were way low, that and fact that the accelerator pump arm had a ton of play on the rear carb would explain the popping back through that carb when coming out of a corner. i altered the throttle return spring bracket as it wouldn't quite return to idle unless you blipped the throttle and lastly set the idle mixture as all 4 screws were all over the place. i thought i'd have a twiddle of the dizzy to see if there was any benefit to be had there too, i've advanced it a good 10 degrees and it's much more responsive now (had to turn the idle down some more) but even at almost idle in 4th gear it pulls cleanly with no pinking/rattling so we're good. i'm running it on our super unleaded E5 which is 99 octane so that helps. overall it's much more driveable and i didn't have to buy kits for the carbs so that's good. who said tunnel rams aren't streetable?
next i wound the driver's side torsion bar up a full turn as it sat down much lower that side, the ss springs at the back don't help but it's almost level now. i may have to set the coilovers at different heights too when i fit the tube axle, we'll see.
i gave it a nut and bolt check too, all good there and i tightened the new fanbelt now as it's settled into the pulleys.
all in all a productive day
:thumbsup:

neil.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My 340 ran 38deg all in with a twin point dizzy when in the Challenger towing a heavy caravan , no pinking but it was chucking out a load of HCs at idle!!! 650 Holly on single plane manifold.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
My 340 ran 38deg all in with a twin point dizzy when in the Challenger towing a heavy caravan , no pinking but it was chucking out a load of HCs at idle!!! 650 Holly on single plane manifold.
yeah, this'll make your eyes sting if you crouch down by the tailpipes when idling, lol.
i've no idea what the timing's set at, i don't possess a timing light.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 ·
i've just ordered a lever type proportioning valve, a line lock valve kit, all the fittings and a lever type brake shutoff valve that i'll use instead of the hydraulic handrake setup as it'll take up less room and do the same job.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
ash' came round this morning so we could fit his b&m shifter i gave him. that was easy, less than an hour including making up some 2mm thick plates to go over most of the hole needed for the 70's stock ford shifter we used previously. while under the car on my ramp i noticed the o/s leaf spring front eye was out of line. it was a broken bolt and these mk3 zephyr's have a weird stepped bolt that goes through what's best described as a butch core plug then the spring bushes then the step of the bolt stops against the side of the chassis rail while the narrower part of the bolt goes through the chassis with a nut and washer on the inside. the bolt is knurled like a wheel stud where it goes through the 'core plug' which itself locates snugly in a large hole in a bracket coming back from the outrigger. complicated huh?
so the bolt was broken at the step predictably, ok for a stock zephyr/zodiac but a weak point with a v8 that gets lots of abuse. i didn't have a weird stepped bolt funnily enough so a 'straight' bolt with a sleeve turned up on my lathe for the 'through the bushes' bit worked a treat.
than we noticed (ash' lent on it and it moved) the rear prop' uj was able to move side to side in the diff yoke. the little tab in the yoke that prevents this was missing, it must've fractured when the uj failed a year or so ago dropping the prop' into the road at about well.... fast. so we needed another way to stop the uj cup from moving, the clamp clearly wasn't enough. these cherokee axles have basically a bent bit of flat bar wrapped round the exposed half of the uj cup that bolts to the diff yoke. so after shaving a few thou' off of the flats on the clamp we refitted it all in place and welded a thick washer to the clamp tight against the cup. success. the explorer 8.8 axle he's bought will be fitted over the winter so it's a temporary fix but one that's more than strong enough.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 ·
the valiant's going wednesday but i couldn't leave the front alone. i'd wound the driver's side torsion bar up a turn to level the front where the ss leaves at the back make them sit wonky. it wasn't enough so another turn and presto it's level. not content another 2 turns each side gave the stance i wanted and coincidentaly so does mark the new owner so it's happy faces all round. at least it will be when he sees it, he asked for pics but it's a secret 'til he arrives to collect it lol. he says he'll radius the rear arches and fit wider 10'' slot mags and tyres but doesn't want the tube axle up front. he wants a driver not a project and with just a few little 'snagging' jobs to do it'll be just right.
:thumbright:

neil.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
so the valiant's gone off into the sunset, well afternoon sun anyway. here's the truck project i took as a small px, lots to do but the basic fab' work's done.
neil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 · (Edited)
i sold the daimler hemi and boxes today, so it looks like i'll be using the holden v8 and manual box i have in stock instead. today anyway, lol.
also i just bought an fx4 black cab to be the doner for the other (48) chevy cab and panels i bought a couple of weeks ago. that one'll be a wooden dropside truck, sort of hillbilly (walton's) style.
oh, and i swapped the fibreglass model A bed sides and tailgate that came with the truck for a pair of cycle fenders and a pair of bobbed model A rear fenders. i'll make a steel bed box so it's more practical.
neil.

581 - 593 of 593 Posts