Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive bitten the bullet and started to cut the box section to make a new chassis 75x50 mm main rails and there is enough room inside the inner sill to fit an 80x40 box section .....where the outer sill comes down and around on the underside to meet the floor plan the sill has a 40mm wide flat that the box section sits on

so when running the box section main rails as per original the tops of the the 75x50 sits perfectly level with the bottom of the 80x40 box in the sills so when joining the main to the sills with an outrigger the 80x40 sits on top of the outrigger as opposed to the end of [hope that makes sense]
have a pic so would i be better lifting the main rails up by 30mm or so ...so an outrigger would st up agins the sill rather than under it as here

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hopefully yes.. its an 83 manta coupe,, but not the one i the pics theyre pics i found to demonstrate my pointregards the outriggers

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
...and you don't want a Q plate ? If so the body must be removable from the chassis .If youweld the chassis to the body you have a modified monococque which will get a Q .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the q plate doesnt really bother me i dont think but that being said it does present a few options with having a bolt on body on myown project nothing has yet been welded to the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
with the above regards having a removeable body t chassis are there any links to projects that i can see how others have gone about theirs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
am i better of with the shell sitting on top of the outriggers as here or fetch the main chassis rails up so the end of the outriggers sits flat against the box section on the inner cill can do both ways with the set up ime using

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
It will look far nicer with those rails moved up inside the car so they are not visible from th eside plus that will give you more ground clearance or allow you to lower more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats my thoughts Kapri the floor pan originally come across level with the underside of the box in the inner cill

i had planned on keeping the floor as standard height 80mm down from the door step but i cant get on with the shell plonked on top of the outriggers .... this stuff is new to me i know its probably been asked a million times on here but raherask advice frommore experienced builders hence why i joined in first place

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You also need to leave room for the exhaust as well yo go under the rails.at leat 60 mm.

Dont get hung up on have the floorpan at stock height.you have no longer got a stock car
yes your spot on, ive been trying to do both without realising modify it but keep it close to stock in terms of floors

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
had a little look today regards sitting the main rails up inside the inner cill rails i can get them up 30mm anymore and the original front x member rear trailingarm/support wont have enough meat to sit against

so i could get away with some 30mm box as outriggers they woud sit flush top face to top face with the top of the main rails and would then sit flush bottom face to bottom face with the box running down the inner cill...pic of what imean this is not my car but i cant get to it to pic it but this gives yu the idea

1 - 16 of 16 Posts