Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had got someone to do the glass, Caldwells glass in Wigan, so called today to arrange dropping off the templates but they said they can only do glass with E11 43R on the glass , and can’t do any other letters needed for the test ( for laminated and toughened), who’s used them and did the glass pass the test?, I need to get the templates in soon, Caldwells have a lead time of 10/16 weeks and times pressing on ,Help .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Caldwell are are a recognised / authorised supplier by DfT so should be fine. I'm sure several of our guys have been through with their side glass . they only do toughened NOT laminated , Surprised by that lead time , I normallt get mine in that time but in days ?? You didn't mishear did you ??

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
As an accreditted supplier by DfT the glass should be fine . They don't do laminated so there are other ways around that . Are you sure they didn't say days not weeks ? That's all mine normallt takes. You alos have a PM.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Windows are for canal boats etc that they alsosupply , just 3 weeks on the glass :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
E11 43R is for the side/rear glass... that's all that is required for Biva, re. side/rear glass....

are you talking about the front screen??? no, Caldwells don't do front screens... the usual approach is to cut down a laminated screen to suit your car, retaining the original laminated ballistic markings that are required for Biva.....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks heavychevy, that was quite informative, I’ll give Caldwells another call and it looks like I’ll need to get a land rover screen cut down, cheers everyone.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
^^splitty what is the car your looking for glass for, Caldwells cut my front screen, flat glass I provided , they are very good and Hannah's dad is well up on BIVA glass

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi zefa46, the glass is for my 1953 Ford prefect , I’ve been thinking about using a Land Rover front screen and getting it cut down ,but I’ve also found a place in Bradford that does flat laminated glass, that’s good to know about Caldwells cutting your own glass,cheers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
but I’ve also found a place in Bradford that does flat laminated glass, that’s good to know about Caldwells cutting your own glass,cheers.
make sure they can do the correct markings, that are properly applied, ie. during glass manufacture, rather than etched on afterwards....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Splitty66 , seriously dude the guys building to BIVA have been looking at this for some time, laminated glass can be bought BUT it is NOT to windscreen speck it is for plant glassing ie slow moving vehicles and will not pass, Not sure if Blackpopracing is on here but he is on FB, speak to Mark , his pop has passed and a cut down landrover screen used . Mark Harley

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zefa46 , I don’t think I’ve ever been called dude in my life , I’m just looking at options and the glass company in Bradford do glass for vintage / classic cars , but i haven’t had a reply yet on the glass markings,so if no joy then I will try a land rover screen,and I will be going to Caldwells for the rest of the glass, and I also do appreciate everyone’s advice .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Paddock Motor Spares is the recommended Lan Rover series screen supplier , something like £50 for a screen you KNOW will pass . Most glass suppliers really do not understand the importance of the all important markings. Likewise even big companies like Pilkington do not understand just how important they are !!

There are alot of companies who don't understand the process of how the glass should be marked or why .

I've actually been using test for well over 10 years and that's the experience the Dummies Guide is based on .

Likewise it has taken a LONG time to sort out suppliers for glass that are reliable and TEST PROVEN.

The last thing you want is to buy the incorect glass ( maybe because it appears cheaper ? ) and then have to do it again when it fails .

I would say without doubt that the glass company in Bradford will use Caldwell and you'll just be paying their mark up on top. Again we KNOW Caldwell don't do EC laminated marked glass hence sourcing cheap LandRover screens ...not even worth going to a scrapyard .

Looking at Paddocks site they alos supply series screens for several hundred pounds ( and more) but the £50 screens are fine.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Likewise when the landroverscreen is cut down the markings REMAIN . If cut off , despite any supporting paperwork , there is absolutely no way of proving the glass is correct spec.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Many years ago I used a old style Fiat Panda screen because I wanted a Top tint and to leave that in place with the cut down screen retaining the manufacturer marks at the bottom edge .

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
Splitty66 , seriously dude the guys building to BIVA have been looking at this for some time, laminated glass can be bought BUT it is NOT to windscreen speck it is for plant glassing ie slow moving vehicles and will not pass, Not sure if Blackpopracing is on here but he is on FB, speak to Mark , his pop has passed and a cut down landrover screen used . Mark Harley
Yep, I'm on here,lol.
Mine was a cut down (green tinted) land rover screen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts