Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Part time window cleaner!
408 Posts
The Car

Yes I do very well - It was built in the late eighties by South Londons Streatham Crash Repairs, John Aird, 'California Pete', Steve De Souza (remember him RIP) and I beileve Steve Bradshaw may have had a hand in it (?)

Not sure about this but from memory in was based around a 70s Lincoln Continental (happy to stand corrected tho') and was built to resemble the car in the 1977 movie - The Car with James Brolin - google The Car (1977) for more info - also on You Tube! Great Film.

SCR was a hot bed of Pro Street in the mid to late eighties and California Pete owned the first Super Gas Mk2 Consul - red it was with a hole cut in the drivers side Lexan window - Some people may remember it? He also built Andy Harris's tubbed out Black Mk1 Zephyr - probably the first pro street car in the country.

Kev Elliott of SCR sprayed my 'Rat On' Vega and Gwilliams Green Pop amoung plenty others.

SCR no longer exists unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
yes remember that well, got the film (great film) it was based on a continental, i remember ( & have it on dvd) it pulling out of the nats at essex 98/99 ish he give it a bit & lit the rears a bit i think, but it sounded really strange, high pitched, then again it was possesed in the film, perhaps it was the devil screaming!

i also remember i think a feature in a mag of another one which looked very good & similar it was based on a mk1 or 2 granada if i remember rightly? anyone out there can back this up?

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Used to sit on a drive round the corner from me, wasn`t it based on a Lincoln??
err yes it does say that above, what i said in my later post is that i can remember seeing another one in a mag i believe that looked just as good & was based on a granada....:smoke:

·
Registered
895 Posts
there was 0ne that was bassed on a 2door volvo quite a rare one aswell cant for the life of me remember what model of volvo tho

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes it was a Lincoln and built by Streatham crash repairs . Remember that for the bumpers they cut down Ford Transit items and the engine was a BBF if my memory is correct over 500 cu inches . Mike the pipe built the exhaust manifolds as nothing was available , and the 2 inch primary pipes were a bit of a squeeze to fit.
Built for a Kevin Hyams ? using only stills taken from a TV Video recording , it was an awesome car , belive he sold it to his brother in law .
Kevin is a real Ford Man , think he owns an Early Fairlane with a 427 SOHC engine and a mint sunliner .. Roy

·
Delinquent in denial...
583 Posts
I always thought there was a british built replica built on a Mk2 Granada...:beuj: Not sure if it was the SE one though, and wasn't there a Car replica at the 25th NASC Nats all them years ago?

Matt

·
not yet a coffin dodger
213 Posts
Here are a couple of photo's of 'the car'. notice the bags of gravel in the engine bay to get the correct ride height

the back end befor the window was cut out.

i have other photos somewhere of the build. it was called 'The Car by SCR'

i even have videos from the mid to late eighties of SCR including Kevin Elliot roof chopping his old saab he had

·
Part time window cleaner!
408 Posts
Here are a couple of photo's of 'the car'. notice the bags of gravel in the engine bay to get the correct ride height

the back end befor the window was cut out.

i have other photos somewhere of the build. it was called 'The Car by SCR'

i even have videos from the mid to late eighties of SCR including Kevin Elliot roof chopping his old saab he had
Based on a 70s Lincoln Continental - most of the work was done by 'California Pete Heywood', Steve D'Souza and Steve Bradshaw.

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
i also remember i think a feature in a mag of another one which looked very good & similar it was based on a mk1 or 2 granada if i remember rightly? anyone out there can back this up?
Mark,says here there was a Granada one.

So what happened to the Granada and the Mercedes based ones???^^^

1 - 20 of 21 Posts