Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all fitted a master cylinder to my mk1 and trying to bleed the brakes and not getting any fluid going down to the pipes but can here air going through my old cylinder on before what was sending it but then was leaking into the car aswell so anyone got any idea why the fluid not going through.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Push rod to manufacture spec. And well the fluid won't come from the reservoir into the cylinder going to try and see if anything blocking it now but did clean it all out before I put it in.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I take it that you are going to take it off the car to check for blockage so before you put it back bench test it first

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried reverse bleeding? it worked a treat on my Corvette clutch, saved wasting loads of expensive fluid and time, I dont see why it wouldnt work on your brakes, just a thought..

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it off this morning found the one rubber was stuck to the inside the inlet one so hopefully was just that. Going to let it soak in meths tonight just the cylinder not rubbers or anything. And then put back again tomorrow this will be about the fifth time now took them on and off lol. Will let you all know tomorrow how it goes then. Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
when you have refitted onto the car and run out of ideas wedge the brake pedal down and leave for a week, did this on mine and have a bloody good pedal now

·
Registered
161 Posts
when you have refitted onto the car and run out of ideas wedge the brake pedal down and leave for a week, did this on mine and have a bloody good pedal now
Yep that, I struggled once on one I rebuilt. Found out you have to leave them to expel their own air with the pedal held down. I think I left mine about 3 days and all was good.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put all back in again nothing took back out again n put old one with different rubber and it sprays abit but then stops and rubber getting stuck now and then. When you say about wedge the brake do you leave one of the bleed nipples open or shut as will give that a try.

·
Chuckinmuck since 1966
1,125 Posts
I do wonder if perhaps you should see if someone local can assist you ? Brakes are something you want to get right.

In answer to your Q - you wedge the brake pedal in the on position with all the nipples done up - the idea is that the system is under pressure and any air that may be in the system works its way out, this will only work if you have good seals at the unions and no leaks of course.

Sounds to me like your problem is the MC - I would get that working 1st on the bench, you could mock up a caliper to see it work.

Best of luck mate - please don't take any chances with your brakes.

I know this from experience of cutting corners ( literally) never again.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Totally agree with Chevy Chaser, If you are not 100% sure of stopping the car safely on the brakes do try driving it. Have you tried back bleeding it like was previously mentioned. If you do not know how to do it I can explain how I have done it.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Na not driving it been on stands for about 2month now even longer. Will give it another go on Sat then will see how you do it backward then mate thanks

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
I don't think anyone has asked , is this a NEW cyclinder or a 'new to you' cylinder ? Has it been rerubbered ?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was my old one from the car original but I've had a new rubber set in it and smoothed over all the parts with the cloth paper

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is just typical of Mk 1 brakes, they are a nightmare. I'vehad the same problem with NOS cylinders, rekitted cylinders and a resleeved (stainless) cylinder Sucking fluid through can help but as people have said wedging the pedal down for a few days has the highest success rate. The other snag is the reservoir is tiny and is sealed with a rubber bung so one man bleeders don't fit.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Btw all I've got my dad helping me so not doing one my own anyway. I only want to get it running for abit just to use before strip down to build into pro street lol if don't get working soon won't bother and will just start to strip down now lol

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

This is the way I have back bled brakes. Get one of this type of oil can ( They are cheap enough on ebay ) make sure it is absolutely clean pumping brake cleaner or meths through it first. Make sure that there is a small amount of brake fluid in the M/C reservior. Fill the oil can with clean brake fluid then connect a bit of brake bleeding hose between the oil can and the bleed nipple that is furthest from the M/C, undo the nipple pump till there is fluid coming up in the M/C reservoir then close the nipple. Then move on to the next furthest nipple and so on. keep an eye on the level in the oil can and on the M/C as it is likely to over flow.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried again today but now had the brake held down the pedal not coming back now so that hasn't worked either :( will have to look into that with the oil can then mate ta

1 - 20 of 20 Posts