Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why are BMW v8 engines so cheap secondhand,there are lots complete for only a few hundred pounds in various sizes,whats the matter with them?

·
Registered
552 Posts
also they have nikasil coated bores which wears out and you lose compression, there was a recall in 94/95 which replaced the bottom end only, most were done but some fell through the net, a 4.0 is good for about 280bhp and after owning one the performance is very very good, a 540 is only beaten by a M5! the block's are date stamped so its easy to see if it been changed, hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
People in the rodding world for some reason don't like beemer or merc v8's. If you get a complete unit, with all the electronics, it's no harder than wiring up and early rover, as they are Kthonic Bosch systems (4 wires to plug and play). Map ECU, more power, there are lots af "add ons" avaiable, there not as cheap as yank parts.
If the BMW engines were that bad, why do so many bespoke car builders use them eh? There was a company based in MK a few years ago that put a huffer on a 540 auto, and it pissed all over an M5 to about 140 MPH.....

·
Got salt
1,305 Posts
People in the rodding world for some reason don't like beemer or merc v8's................ there not as cheap as yank parts.
No; by a factor of about ten!

If the BMW engines were that bad, why do so many bespoke car builders use them eh?
They're not bad, just overcomplex and expensive to service.
Its easy to match the power with a yank lump for peanuts, and the knowledge base for them is huge. Tech info for Kraut stuff is frustratingly hard to find.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
This is just what I'm on about. No more complicated thatn a fully injected emissioned reg'd small block, each to their own. I'm fitting a FBW injected motor into my motor, don't see a problem myself.
A good german V9 will cover enough mileahe to go to the moon and back, with long time between service intervals too.
Also, there's cock all to service on late engines these days, filters, plugs (every 50k odd) err, oil, er, um, er, er. That's it.
I bet a Chrysler Cross fire running gear would be fine to use (of course, it's all german Merc greasy bits....)

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Yes and no on the looks, depends which one you go for.
Would make a nice change to see a DOHC in a high tech rod.
The only engine I know of that has variable cam / valve timing with a single in V cam is the gen 4 viper engine with the machadyne cam in cam set up, well nice and really smart bit of engineering too.

:)

·
Stroker
5,458 Posts
Jags nice too

I had an *JS 3.6 with a manual box and it was glorious to drive.
Loadsa torque and revved like a dream.

Had an idea about using one as they go for nowt but dug deeper into rebuilds, and if more power was needed it was big bucks so got scared orf.

KJ

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
But you wouldn't go down this route if you were after mega horses, you use one of these motors for smoothness, quietness reliability etc etc

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Nikasil bore problem on the BMW was caused by high sulphur fuel not available now so I don't see a problem, also the liners on later engines changed to a better type. Matched to the overdrive automatic gearboxes they provide fast acceleration and good cruising fuel consumption. Yes the fuel injection and wiring would be a pain but to those of you used to current cars I don't think it would be too difficult. As to looks modern American engines are not a lot better ,4th gen Camaros and late Mustangs don't look pretty when you lift the hood!
I like the Chevy truck in the pics, I also bet its quick but also gives decent gas milage[assuming a decent diff ratio]

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
that is a nice set up in the truck...

I know a guy who works on BMW's in a non francise garage if that helps anyone.....drop me a mail for no.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The Nikasil bore problem on the BMW was caused by high sulphur fuel not available now so I don't see a problem, also the liners on later engines changed to a better type. Matched to the overdrive automatic gearboxes they provide fast acceleration and good cruising fuel consumption. Yes the fuel injection and wiring would be a pain but to those of you used to current cars I don't think it would be too difficult. As to looks modern American engines are not a lot better ,4th gen Camaros and late Mustangs don't look pretty when you lift the hood!
I like the Chevy truck in the pics, I also bet its quick but also gives decent gas milage[assuming a decent diff ratio]
730 beemer is a 3.01 rearend ratio, my truck has 2.73s with 20" rims so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I ran a merc V8 out of a 450 sel in a humber hawk, it was a sweet motor but when the gearbox went bang (after id sold it to a mate) it was too expensive to get fixed so a rover went in. i still have the merc lump and knackered box, its been modified so it now runs a holley carb and it has good old points ignition so easy to wire and tune. one day i might sort the box and throw it in something again.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
When my m8 (robford) was looking for a gbox for his dads s10 (700r4 v6 pattern) it transpired though a lot of searching and crossrefrencing that Bmw gearboxs were the same internally with a different casing but this would have to be double and triple checked before anyone went down this road

Ps it was never checked by us as the motor was sold on

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had the nikosil problem on a '95 730 when the car was 4 years old. BMW replaced the engine free of charge, so I can only sing their praises, but I'd looked at an awful lot of 740s with a slight misfire (supposedly one of the warning signs) before buying the 730i, which I thought would avoid the nikosil issue.

I now have a '90 Merc with a 5 litre 32v engine. Returns good economy, but Merc prices are outrageous and the dealers are not to be trusted. How about £200+VAT for one piston?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts