Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
,i have a plastic pig,reliant robin,now stop laughing, a bubble top,my intensions are just to cut the roof off,and cloak over it with a custom made fiberglass body [ufo],so no modification to the robin at all,epcept the roof off,so will i have to inform dvla ect as although the robin is still there it wont look like one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also is there a legal width for a car on the road,it will more than likly be no wider than a transit van,
just a note this is not a serious build project,its cheep have all the parts under £300 quid im semi retired and bored just a winter project,sick of the telly.
most of the money will go on the the mdf buck [mostly off cuts from work] the glassfiber buck and body,lights and a bucket of metalflake,the bubble top i found in a salvage yard £40,the pig was free

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
You're cutting the roof off the existing body so that must require notification of change of body type?

All I can find on vehicle width is it has to be less than 2.55m.

You're mad. Good luck! :crazy:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You're cutting the roof off the existing body so that must require notification of change of body type?

All I can find on vehicle width is it has to be less than 2.55m.

You're mad. Good luck! :crazy:
i may scrap the robin idea and use a small convertable,mini spitfie mg, just thought weather the bubble top could be classed as a roof,i am setting in a glass screen into the bubble so i can fit a wiper,
carnt think of another cheap fiberglass soft top,mind there has been a few Q plate shitty kit cars on ebay in the past,might be a option.

·
Keyboard Worrier
411 Posts
i may scrap the robin idea and use a small convertable,mini spitfie mg.
Of those 3 in bold only the Spitfire would be worth considering as the other two are monocoques and once you cut them you're in BIVA territory so that'll be your £300 budget out the window! :bigsmile:

Hmmm, body cloaking, wouldn't be a Star Trek theme going on here would there? :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
not far off here is a clue,said it was a boredom project,just got to find a running complete small Q plate soft top now,ive put the reliant robin idea on hold for a bit,it didnt cost owt,got it for free of the old boy next door,its been in his garage 20 years,its brown complete and still runs,tyres brakes battery all knacked.

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

Of those 3 in bold only the Spitfire would be worth considering as the other two are monocoques and once you cut them you're in BIVA territory so that'll be your £300 budget out the window! :bigsmile:

Hmmm, body cloaking, wouldn't be a Star Trek theme going on here would there? :D
not going to cut anything sept windscreen,and remove the doors if i can find a old kit car with a bolt on screen,no cutting at all,bear in mind the ufo body will be only dzus fastend on so the car its on will still be there complete underneath,

the robin has a chassis so cutting the roof off it shouldnt make a difference,looked at the v5c it doesnt have a body style on it,might be a go er after all,

·
formerly litig8r
720 Posts
if I remember rightly, if the bubble lifts, it is classed as an opening windscreen and legally at least, you don't need a wiper. (You do if you want to see out in the rain, of course.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the bubble is 1200 wide and 600 high it just fits ontop of my 32 roadster,and was tempted to put it on,even thought of setting it into a fiberglass tonnue cover like a lift off hard top,but dont want to remove the duvall type screen, bloody bubble top has a lot to answer for,if i hadnt bought it none of this would have entered my shed of a head

the bubble is 1200 wide and 600 high it just fits ontop of my 32 roadster,and was tempted to put it on,even thought of setting it into a fiberglass tonnue cover like a lift off hard top,but dont want to remove the duvall type screen, bloody bubble top has a lot to answer for,if i hadnt bought it none of this would have entered my shed of a head
mind if you think this is a mad project,a bloke i know has been collecting parts for a road going fighter plane,based on a old vw trike ,light aircraft canopy,and a 13ft long fiberglass belly tank,

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you googled 'cosmotron car' it too has a bubble top as is a little space age but has the benefit of aircon!
seen it ,sat in it ,

gone of the plot a bit here, i am not re bodying any thing the whole doner car will still be present,just a lift off shell will be over the top of it, there is no re body,think cut the floor and chassis out of a caravan and drop it over a medium size van put a couple of big bolts in it to hold it together,go for a jolly down the road, the van is still a van with a coat on,

·
starting to crawl back up
3,029 Posts
bugger,, just sold,,well it was more or less given away ,, a reliant kitten rolling chassis with v5 and engine g/box etc would have been better than three wheels for you ,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts