Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ferolli falcon boiler which has started playing up,when it calls for hot water it ignites for about 10 seconds and cuts out and then kicks back in after a while and carrys on like that.Now some may say I shouldn't mess but theres no way I would mess with the gas side of things.but I just thought if I could try the simple stuff before I start spending.Any pointers please

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
When this problem occurs with most combi's its a blocked heat exchanger for the DHW. These heat exchangers are about the size of a sardine can and get silted up. You can sometimes unblock it by removing it & with a bit of wire and shaking it get it clear, although a new one may be better. Try looking on U Tube, theres normally a vid of someone doing this or a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allways run pressure just over 1 on guage.Theres no pressure loss.Just tried central heating and the same things happening.Cant divorce my woman as I would be fucked without her

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
I was going to say its the thermister, but i think those boilers have different ones for the HW & CH so its probably not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Download the literature if you've already got It
It will have a fault finding flow chart or similar to get you on your way,but sometimes things are best left to
the professionals

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm no plumber and my boiler is different to yours, but I had the same symptoms. I took the heat exchanger out and left it in brick cleaning acid for an hour. You could see bubbles coming out from the limescale dissolving. Put it back together and it was solved.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
When this problem occurs with most combi's its a blocked heat exchanger for the DHW. These heat exchangers are about the size of a sardine can and get silted up. You can sometimes unblock it by removing it & with a bit of wire and shaking it get it clear, although a new one may be better. Try looking on U Tube, theres normally a vid of someone doing this or a similar problem.
Best advice so far. When the heat exchanger gets blocked up (with rust fron your rads) the flow is restricted and causes the boiler to cut out. its very simple to take off and clean.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
This shouldn't be needed in a soft water area as calcium build up doesn't usually present as a problem in soft water areas.

Do you know how hard your water is?

Jon

·
Registered
170 Posts
divertor valve,give it a chap. we get this every year when we switch the heating back on after summer.common fault,not under warranty :shake:

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
hard water
OK. I'd follow the flow chart shovelhead posted first before stripping anything down. It does sound like the flow is restricted though.

Good luck ... jon

·
Registered
392 Posts
could be a blocked or hole in the flue, and its chokin itself out, not had any building work done or overgrown bushes near the flu ?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sounds like you have problem with DHW plate heat exchanger.

Make sure part numbers from Instal/service book match. 30-40 mins to change part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts