1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
sky plus set :tup:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Not usually a fan of Ewan Mcgregor but saw the programme about the Spitfire with him and his brother.It was excellant and I reckon the Lanc one will be to.:tup:

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
The BBMF visitors centre at RAF Conningsby is well worth a visit, then go down the road to east Kirksby where you can "taxi" in a Lanc- (Google just jane)

It's booked up for a year in advance unfortunately, but the museum is well worth a visit. They even have an "upkeep" mine (bouncing bomb) on display that was used for practice

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The BBMF visitors centre at RAF Conningsby is well worth a visit, then go down the road to east Kirksby where you can "taxi" in a Lanc-
We went past the entrance to East Kirksby in August en-route from Skegness to RAF Conningsby. I knew that Just Jane could taxi but i didnt know you could book places on her, cost £220. Sounds like money well spent to me, you would never forget it.
According to a quick google it is rumoured that they are going to strip and rebuild her and try to get an airworthiness certificate.

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
According to a quick google it is rumoured that they are going to strip and rebuild her and try to get an airworthiness certificate.
So I believe.
Would be good as there are only 2 flying Lancs in the world. BBMF & one in Canada.

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
just watched it ,always had respect for my ancestors and always will.when you think half of the lancaster teams lost there lifes defending this country to make it safe.ibet them follks would n`t do it now if they saw how this country would end up .that goes for who ever fought for this country back then.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The thing that makes me sad is that the bomber crews have only just been officially recognised for their part in the war.

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
My great uncle was a mechanic on lancs crazy bugger he was got me into bikes...once he freed up my seized up tiger cub engine with a lump of wood and a hammer.. he drove a tuned mk 2 zody (raymond mays i think) and told loads of tales of how they patched the lancs up..most of em should of been in a scrap yard..he was amazed some of em got off the ground.. make do and mend in the extreme

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brilliant documentry,most of us can only imagine what it was like.Makes me sad that so many lives were lost so as alleged british citizens can freely go via Pakistan to Afganistan to fight against British troops

·
Registered
321 Posts
My Uncle was a rear gunner in a Lancaster. He would never talk about it such a shame. When he died they found his complete flying suit and a log book. He lost a lot of good mates over Germany probably why he would not talk about it.
We must never forget them. Brave young men and women.
I know if my Dad, Grandad and Uncles were alive today to see this country they would say what the Bloody hell did we fight for.

·
formerly litig8r
720 Posts
We do not live far from Coningsby, occasionally during the summer we hear the Lancaster flying over, nothing else sounds like it and we always rush out to have a look. My wife's late dad was ground crew on Lancasters in the late 40s so it always reminds us of him.

In Long Bennington where we used to live, in the churchyard are six war graves, several of whom are young Canadian airmen as young as 19, who would have been flying bombers from the nearly Bottesford (now Normanton) airfield. I can never look at those (immaculate) graves without thinking of those boys dying alone in the dark sky, thousands of miles from home. My own son is older than most of them now.

I didn't see the programme but I am going to try to catch it on the iplayer tonight. Lest we forget.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Great Programme and well worth watching - so glad you made me aware of it or the Mrs would have been wathing some soap rerun or similar.

My grandfather was in the RAF during the war but he was a Chippie / Builder and was kept busy rebuilding sheds, hangars, accommodation blocks etc that were destroyed by the German bombing. Not as glamorous as being a pilot or aircrew but something worthwhile to keep the RAF flying.
My brother inherited a Spitfire he carved out of a shot up perspex roof of a Spitfire that made an emergency landing at their airfield and an ashtray and spitfire (about 5 inch wingspan) filed out of a solid piece of aluminium said to have come from a damaged Spit wing spar.

Ian

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
Excellent programme, shame they talk over the engine noise though.....
Agreed, I hate it when they play the music over the sound of the engines like that, i find that this happens whenever you get any older aircraft on the TV like this! Just the sound of those four engines alone is music alone.....

Marc

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
The old lady riveter worked in the Aircraft factories from the age of sixteen for twelve hours a day seven till seven. Her opinion, "the best days of my life" what must she make of work-shy teenage mothers on benefits! Still she has had more out of life that they ever will, she still wanted a go at riveting. You get out of life what you put in.

Rog.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts