Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is not a rant even though it could be, how many self employed/ small businesses people are there on here,i run with my mother and brother a small skip hire and haulage company when i say small there's only us left, there were 7 of us last year,this week had to go to a meeting on the haulage side of things so had to do a bit of paper work facts and figures,one of the facts are our diesel has rose in 12 mouths to this week 73.35pence a gallon, we have had no haulage rise for over 2 years, had a letter today telling me there's a rise in land fill tax another £8 per ton, so with tipping tax £48 per ton, tax on my diesel, wages,road tax, tax on my profit (yer right) and vat on most of it, how many people are making less profit than the 17.5% vat that we pay, im now down to about 10/15% and sometimes wonder why i get up in the morning:tdown:

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I wonder that every day. I run an electrical contracting business and seem to pay more in tax every year even though our profits go down each year. The lousy scum that 'run' this country need to try to do a days work for a days pay and see how they would fair. Unfortunately for all concerned the country is bolloxed beyond repair and the only people that can put something back in the systems pot is the tax paying working class person.
I would love someone with half an ounce of common sense from the government to come and work with me for a day and find out how life really is.
Maybe it should have gone in the rants section!!!!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello stevie.t and wakesupemo. I have never worked for myself always for a company. Often wished I did but I know I would probably end up struggeling like you guys. Well done Si for bringing a bit of humour in. And where is Wisbekistan? Is that anywhere near Pakistan.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would love someone with half an ounce of common sense from the government to come and work with me for a day and find out how life really is.
Sadly there is no one of that calibre in the collection of clowns that make up the present government.
Wish there was an easy answer ,but with the mega debt G. Brown has left us taxpayers to pick up I know life will not be pleasant for the average hardworking UK resident for years till the debt is reduced:tdown:

·
Have love will travel....
275 Posts
Yep, I understand totally. Had the choice, well, hardly a choice really, a year ago of going vat registered or reducing the gross turnover drastically (that is, get rid of my guys who have worked with me for years). My accountant said to me "It means you'll have to charge vat on a tattoo", that's not even funny! We're in a recession and although tattooing is a luxury item and people will generally beg, borrow or steal to have one, we have noticed regular customers struggling to come in as often as they would like for ongoing work. I can really see my customers being ok when I say "That'll be £70 plus vat for your tattoo please?" and because we don't buy a huge amount of materials and when we do, it's often from small companies that aren't vat registered, we can't claim it back either! :grr:

I didn't want to lay anyone off so I had to split the business. I now work in a private shop round the corner from the main one. Which has turned out to be quite a blessing, much quieter and more private but I now have the cost of running 2 shops instead of one, all because of the bloody vatman. They don't care that you might make a loss that year? As I did the last year because of set up costs. It sucks. As self employed people, we get no sick pay, no holiday pay, no pension and now no bloody mortgage now they've changed the rules on that! :tdown:

I employ, although they are self-employed technically, 3 full timers and soon another one when the season picks up. In a town where unemployment is really high. I don't even get small business allowance now because I have 2 premises. I even have to pay to get my bloody regular rubbish collected! But would I ever go back to working for someone else again.....nah course I wouldn't! :D Ok...thanks, I feel better now I've got that off my chest...

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've been self employed and also employed (as I am now!)....give me self employed every time, I packed in my 1st business due to the downturn in the housing industry...well actually I just got fed up of chasing money and it took just over a year to get most of what I was owed. The tax didn't bother me as a good accountant was worth every penny and as long as I budgeted for it (25-30% of takings straight to a separate account)
I've been employed for 4 years now and not planning on it being a "for ever" deal.

my feelings
"there are 2 things that are certain in life....Tax and Death!"

·
depositionist
184 Posts
and dont forget the robbing bastard banks:grr:
i am a one man fabrication / engineering business & as with most small businesses my cash-flow is critical and yet again bastardlys bank:wanker::wanker: have done me for another £340 in charges, thats over £1500 in the past 12 months. the c***s wont even refund me a single feckin pound!
unlike those bunch of c***s we cant go to the govenment and get an handout of tax payers money, we have to graft our knackers off while they sit behind there cosy fucking desks robbing us blind!!!!:grr::wanker:

·
275 Posts
Have you tried paying the bank a visit? I went in yesterday to query a charge and they agreed that their own wording on the statement letter was so bad that even though the charge was correct, they refunded it as goodwill :)....I was surprised! Gonna keep more of an eye on the accounts from now on!

·
depositionist
184 Posts
yes, i've been into my branch 4 times, my account manager (a 20 year old spotty c*** who's never got his hands dirty in his fucking life) told me that they have had instructions from head office not to issue refunds on charges.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
born free???????

no such thing! next you,ll be wanting to sell ya soul!:twisted:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
and dont forget the robbing bastard banks:grr:
i am a one man fabrication / engineering business & as with most small businesses my cash-flow is critical and yet again bastardlys bank:wanker::wanker: have done me for another £340 in charges, thats over £1500 in the past 12 months. the c***s wont even refund me a single feckin pound!
unlike those bunch of c***s we cant go to the govenment and get an handout of tax payers money, we have to graft our knackers off while they sit behind there cosy fucking desks robbing us blind!!!!:grr::wanker:
At least you know your money is going to a good cause when you see adverts featuring the likes of Howard from the Halifax.What a cockflosser he is:wanker:

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
yes, i've been into my branch 4 times, my account manager (a 20 year old spotty c*** who's never got his hands dirty in his fucking life) told me that they have had instructions from head office not to issue refunds on charges.
Then take it up with Head Office and tell them what you have been told, you have nothing to lose but the spotty oik does if he has not informed you correctly.

·
275 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean bout the bank managers nowadays. A few years ago I had to go into my local bank and set up a sole account, and the prepubescent bank manager told me I didn't have enough proof of id, I'd only moved into the flat that week. I told him that I'd tattooed 3 out of the 4 bank clerks who were working that day......hahahahaa...that shut him up! Got my account :D

When I have problems I just threaten to go elsewhere. Even though you may not be making a profit, they are making good money out of you and don't want to lose you. Threatening to go elsewhere has worked for me so far :tup:

·
depositionist
184 Posts
At least you know your money is going to a good cause when you see adverts featuring the likes of Howard from the Halifax.What a cockflosser he is:wanker:
just to rub salt in, not only did bastardlys bank get a handout of tax payers cash but also there profits are up by 94% this year & they still continue to stitch me up at every opportunity:finger::grr::wanker:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Then take it up with Head Office and tell them what you have been told, you have nothing to lose but the spotty oik does if he has not informed you correctly.
Dont know what has happened in the last 25 years but i was taught that the customer was god and treat them that way.If i acted like they do i wouldnt have a buisness at all,mind you i almost dont as everyone has been shafted by Gordon and co.We have to put up with shit like the scrappage scheme which has cost the country millions while LDV and CORUS go to the wall.
Still we can afford the OLYMPICS , good eh?:evil:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote :-

They've destroyed parts of East London for some glorified sports day!

:pmsl::pmsl::pmsl: :tup:

·
MarkT
1,117 Posts
Ive been self employed for nearly 30 years and being in the building industry just lately i spend more time at home than working though a couple of years ago the government were going on a build somthing like 50 thousand homes a year but yet they release no money ?? every one moans about the Thatcher years but she was the best thing to happen to self employment .......Simple solution was get off your arse and earn it and live well , doss about and lay in bed get nowt...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts