Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says.
Has anybody tried it and does it work on cars/trucks?
Mate of mine used to do his bike brakes that way and it worked ok.
Want to change the fluid on my truck, just got a feeling it will take a lifetime, if it works at all.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Use a small pop bottle, hole in the top and your pipe from the brake bleed nipple in to the bottom, an inch of brake fluid in the bottom, open up the nipple and pump away slowly and keep filling the master cylinder, the fluid acts like a one way valve, you may need a very small hole to let the air out of the bottle as the fluid rises, you can also keep an eye on the fluid colour,

Just opening the nipple and squirting oil straight out without a pipe/ one way valve will draw in air, and will be a massive headache

ABS units are a straight through flow when not working, they only modulate/pulse when wheels skids, so no worries there, just treat as a car without ABS

I can take a pick of my amazing and cheap tool if I haven't explained it enough

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input fellas.

I had thought about the syringe method but read/heard somewhere that you can break up air bubbles into microscopic bubbles if you're not careful.

The reason I asked is I'm nearly always alone when knobbing about with the spanners, so a one man approach that works appeals.

nikb, if it's no trouble a pic. would be good, although I think I get what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I've done one man brake bleeding by putting a long tube onto the bleed nipple and having it go up a couple of feet. Then crack open the bleed nipple and pump the brake pedal down fairly quickly and up fairly slowly. The fluid in the tube means that the air bubbles rise to the top and only fluid can get drawn back. When no more bubbles come out close the bleed nipple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts