Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my brakes still not working on my car and leaking inside now already changed the seals so think it's the master cylinder that's to worn. Save spending more money on it for just a year or so till start stripping it down thought if I got the brake cylinders or servo done now save messing later on so the question is do I really need servo if I got a brake with twin cylinders on it or what will be having my engine about 500hp and using on the road but not going to be stupid on the road unless it's a open road :tup: don't really want a big servo all on show either so want it minimal as possible really any help would be grate thanks

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I run without a servo do and several mates do too. The servo just reduces the pedal input pressure. If the pedal ratio is wrong it will feel really heavy, otherwise not a problem. Just make sure you have the right master cylinder with the push rod held in place with a circlip, not all ones for a servo have the clip as its a "closed" system, so the push rod can't go anywhere.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Personally, with 500hp, i would prefer a servo system.
Why? Genuine question. All a servo does is reduce the amount of force your foot has to apply to the master cylinder. It doesn't make the brakes work any better, or faster or safer. A servo basically uses a vacuum as an "effort multiplier". If your pedal length and m/c connection point are at the correct ratio then you dont need a servo.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
The McLaren F1 has no servo....
Taken from the spec sheet of the F1

Servo-assisted ABS brakes were ruled out as they would imply increased mass, complexity and reduced brake feel; however at the cost of increasing the required skill of the driver.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Why? Genuine question. All a servo does is reduce the amount of force your foot has to apply to the master cylinder. It doesn't make the brakes work any better, or faster or safer. A servo basically uses a vacuum as an "effort multiplier". If your pedal length and m/c connection point are at the correct ratio then you dont need a servo.
Something that makes the car less effort to drive has to be a good thing, ie, just about every modern car on the road. It was invented for this very purpose, just like power steering, why not use it? But thanks for the lesson.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
i've built with and without servo, if building for me and from scratch i'd go without. as said with the correct pedal ratio you dont need it as you get the same effort albeit at the expense of greater pedal travel.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Taken from the spec sheet of the F1

Servo-assisted ABS brakes were ruled out as they would imply increased mass, complexity and reduced brake feel; however at the cost of increasing the required skill of the driver.
All positives in my book. The skill comment is referring to the lack of ABS.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks all that's made my mind up then will go without one then and have a twin cylinder setup seen on demon tweeks made for circuit racing so good enor for road and drag then really.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also would I be able to use master cylinder for discs on a drum as my car is drum/drum but will change later to disc/drum or how ever the back end comes when I find one. So for now needs to work for drums all round but then onto disc and drum later is this possible without buying another new cylinder later on when change

1 - 13 of 13 Posts