Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I'm drawing on the best tool a rodder can have and that's others experience.I've just got the A out on the road and am having a very strange problem.
Now bear in mind that the trucjk has been on the SVA rollers and also MOT and showed within tolerance imbalance. I'd put it down to one side having more camber than the other ( now sorted along with caster and tracking set up correctly) and it drives hands off arrow straight .

It has new discs , pads and exchange calipers.All front suspension rubbers , track rod ends ,tyres etc are new .

When you brake it pulls to the left but then as you start to release pressure changes to pulling to the right ?

I pulled all the front end apart lifted the dust seals ( which can cause brakes to hang on ) on the calipers and lubed them and also swapped pads side to side at the same time. I re-bled the brakes and the problem is exactly the same ?

I'm going to get some new front hoses ,as the ones on there are old ,just in case they are damaged internally and I'm going to pull the calipers off and apart.

It's the pulling to the other way as you take your foot of that's got me puzzled? I thought it might be where I was pulling the steering to correct so tried it hands free on an Industrial estate and it's the same. Another strange thing is that although under light braking it pulls to the left under heavy braking it pulls up dead straight ?

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Now this is going to sound really stupid Kev but its right hand drive isnt it ??

And the master cylinder is mounted on the bulk head and it pulls to the n/s (longer pipe) when you first apply and when you release the pressure then makes it pull to the o/s (shorter pipe)

Im sure i had this on a stock mk3 cortina but never found the cause (before it was scraped) :tdown: sorry no help here then

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Bet it’s the offside front brake hose partially collapsed allowing not enough pressure when braking but holding some pressure once released. Just my guess :tup:

·
old tart (was kc55)
745 Posts
Bet it's the offside front brake hose partially collapsed allowing not enough pressure when braking but holding some pressure once released. Just my guess :tup:
this does sound feasable, bit of balooning going on...

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm favouring brake lines cos I can't see anything else logical other than the new bits being shagged which I'll check tomorrow.

Vince, underfloor without residuals so it may suffer a bit of bleedback but even after re-bleeding and then driving it straightaway it still did it.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But of course ....new bits shagged :tdown: One piston has been on the cock on the right side hence no brakes on light braking then snatching on as you ease pressure, worn a groove internally the side in less that 200 miles.

Hoses fin ebut been replaced anyway as brakes all apart.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reconditioned 'new' with 12 month warranty, new ones coming out FOC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts