Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
al o'connor should be in there...40 years racing and still kicking it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder besides Al who i think has been drag racing with out a break. He raced in the States for a while with Als Gasser. Anyone else raced continues with out a break in drag racing for longer over here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nice and always good to see Mr Grady in there, what a true gent and hero.
Could'nt agree more! but then you knew I'd say, that!
Still missed & a great loss to the sport.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice and always good to see Mr Grady in there, what a true gent and hero.
Too right!

You know the rodders could of used the BDRHoF model for a similar for the UK rodding legends .. Brian Godber and Mickey Bray two of the earliest NSRA members, maybe even founders have gone .. don't wanna lose anymore without a big honour.
Drag Racing lost a a few before the HoF was founded which was a big reason Stu Bradbury got it going, that said Dennis Stone, Alan Wigmore and Ed Shaver were given life time achievement awards at knebworth in 99 at a JWR event - 'California Dreamin'. Ed Shaver even turned up! Loads of others got the same honour including Hall of famers - Dave Grady and Murt!

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I would like to see Tony Dickson in there not just for his racing but for the support (and interest free credit when you needed it most !)he gave to the sport .

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Heard so many good tales about his "send the £ when you have it" for the racers surprised his name has'nt been put forward:shake:
open all hours has never been repeated to my knowledge??

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I would like to see Tony Dickson in there not just for his racing but for the support (and interest free credit when you needed it most !)he gave to the sport .
Too true, I bought stuff of him when he worked from home and when he had Gasoline Alley. In the eighties I was racing the old Nova and need a prop yolk, gave him a call at about 9 O'clock at night, yes I've got one so I drove down from Leicester to Wrotham and the kettle was still on and a gang of Mopar boys were sitting on the stools. Without Tony a lot of us would not have raced.
Rog.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder besides Al who i think has been drag racing with out a break. He raced in the States for a while with Als Gasser. Anyone else raced continues with out a break in drag racing for longer over here.
I think Al has had several breaks from racing.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Too true, I bought stuff of him when he worked from home and when he had Gasoline Alley. In the eighties I was racing the old Nova and need a prop yolk, gave him a call at about 9 O'clock at night, yes I've got one so I drove down from Leicester to Wrotham and the kettle was still on and a gang of Mopar boys were sitting on the stools. Without Tony a lot of us would not have raced.
Rog.
A few of us from the Throttlers use to go out there after the weekly pub meet on a tuesday, get there about midnight and watch the nascar .Was'nt the Mopar boys called "Roughneck Racing" most of them run big blocks with 4 speeds because of breaking the tail sections of the toqueflites. I will never forget the endless cups of tea and the stick Tony use to give me for using a Chrysler !!! Real "Glory Days".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea Al has had several breaks from racing as you say, but he is still 'gassin' in what is a very iconic car that really has become part of who he is.
It's a car that along with Stripteaser was a massive crowd favourite away from blown nitro .. and therefore made a contribution to the popularity of the sport in the growth years of the 70's. He raced everywhere too including Mantorp. My very first drag meet - York June 78 featured a demo match race - Alan O' Conner vs Keith Potter .. for me following that there was no way back!
It's still one of the coolest cars at any event - period.
Just wish he'd put the headlamps back on!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Too right!

You know the rodders could of used the BDRHoF model for a similar for the UK rodding legends .. Brian Godber and Mickey Bray two of the earliest NSRA members, maybe even founders have gone .. don't wanna lose anymore without a big honour.
I believe the NSRA floated that idea recently, don't know what came of it . They had previously given out Lifetime Achievement awards. When I was with UKK we had a Hall of Fame award awarded annually, few people knew about it or cared about Kustoms but we thought we ought to honour the few who did.

·
Registered
78 Posts
At least they may have considered the idea then, you can't make people do things but thanks for the heads-up kapri!
All seems to be running snoothly with the drag racing HoF, one or two bumps behind the scenes in the early days but to be expected I guess .. seems to be running like a dream now, I'm a big fan of it - it needed doing!

Tony Dickson a good call I reckon, SG57 not the only one I've heard saying great things about Tony's service!

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Tony let me have all the parts to do my 55,i had no money back then i sent him £5 a week in an envelope,he didnt know me from adam,Bless him,Bry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts