Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just come indoors at 8.30pm from playing with the car as the sun is just going down, I love this BST, but is there any logical reason why we can not have this the whole year. Why do the clocks have to change. Wouldnt it be easier if someone needs a bit of light in the morning to just start later and then work later?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Not here either, its fully dark here.

But coming home in daylight is great.

I think it was originally something to do with children getting to school safely in the winter

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
British Summer Time was introduced during the First World War. I can't remember the exact reason why but I expect it's all on t'internet.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Remember that it is summer time that is out of sync the "real" time is Greenwich Mean Time (replaced local time in the ninteenth century for the railways) so if we didn't have BST then it would always be darker earlier

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember that it is summer time that is out of sync the "real" time is Greenwich Mean Time (replaced local time in the ninteenth century for the railways) so if we didn't have BST then it would always be darker earlier
When they stopped the change last time they left it on BST not Grenwich time.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly! So it's summer time that people want to keep and not GMT
Exactly what I was suggesting would be a good thing.
I have just come indoors at 8.30pm from playing with the car as the sun is just going down, I love this BST, but is there any logical reason why we can not have this the whole year. Why do the clocks have to change. Wouldnt it be easier if someone needs a bit of light in the morning to just start later and then work later?

·
Tony Whitehouse
162 Posts
I remember when leaving us on BST was tried before and the newspapers made a big thing of every incident that occurred involving kids going to school in a morning. Poor light was blamed due to the clocks not going back, a lot of support was drummed up so the idea was eventually abandoned. I don't think the question of was there an actual increase in going to school incidents was ever asked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts