Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about a couple of things and perhaps the landlord is the one that'd know.
I'm with O2 and pay for 20mb broadband. I actually get around 8mb. O2 say they measure it as more like 19mb. They have remotely reconfigured the (wireless) router - no change. Ok so if this is the case, between the street and my computer I'm losing a lot of speed.
O2 have suggested that micro-filters can become less efficient over time and are sending me a new one - I have tried loads but they all seem to behave pretty much the same way when swapped onto the router socket.
Could the router lose speed by being situated in the middle of the house with many extension sockets (and lengths of wire) between it and the road? Would it be better to put the router on the 'prime' (first) socket from the road?
Any other ideas to boost my speed?
thanks in advance Dave

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
I don't tend to deal much with ADSL but in the experience i've had it is very hit & miss.

Yep, you're always better off having the connection to the router on the main socket into the house. The flat cable type extensions have been known to degrade the signal as ideally the wires are run as twisted pairs to cancel out noise and magnetic interference. Round cables are usually the proper twisted pair type.

Unless you've got a very poor wireless signal then your WiFi connection will pretty much be always faster than your broadband speed so you wouldn't notice any degradation there.

There is a difference between some of the micro filters actually. Not sure where it is now but I did read of a site that had tested a number of them and got different results.

There's also an issue with the old style bell wire being connected. It's not used on modern phones but can cause noise on the line and disconnecting it has improved speeds.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Also bear in mind that there's something called 'contention ratio'.

Basically, if everyone around you is on ADSL (and the same provider) as well and they all use their connection at the same time then you're all sharing a port in the local exchange. If it's fast when all the kids are at school and then slow around 3pm - 6pm then it's because you're sharing the speed with everyone else.

That's why they advertise 'upto' speeds as well. Contention ratios vary between about 20:1 and 50:1.

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hotrod Girl and Si - I'll wait for the new micro filter, retest and then move router to the prime socket - will be good to see if I can tweak a bit more out of my broadband.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Also. Bear in mind with ADSL that it does periodic checks to determine your most reliable speed. You can move it to a new socket and notice no difference in the speed.

Once you make changes or move the sockets you need to give it approx 3 days. Then the ISP will start varying the speeds over a period of about a week before it settles on the speed that gives you the most reliable connection (low loss of packets) according to the hardware reports :tup:

None of it's really instant with ADSL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts