Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Do you still use IE6 and in what capacity ?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT2
NOTE
Please make sure you also pick your option on the poll above as well if you post a message with the feedback. Saves me taking my shoes and socks off to count the responses :tup:

Roite then, with the new site coming out I just figured i'd do a poll to get some feedback regarding Internet Explorer 6.

There's a possibility that the new code won't degrade down to IE6 very well.

EDIT 3
[without trying to sound patronising :(]
You view this website using a browser.
The most common browser is Internet Explorer (IE) and there's a few versions of this as the software has progressed. Most PCs (windows based running XP or below) come equipped with the default browser of Internet Explorer v6 or below. Newer machines running Vista or Windows 7 will be IE 7 or above as will those running Windows XP that make use of the Windows update tools.
IE6 is a 9 year old piece of software and wasn't built with any realistic view of standardisation in mind. As such, a lot of the web design standards don't display well at all on IE6.
I need to know what versions of the browser people are using so I can build the site to display right on as many machines as possible.
Some machines will still be running IE6 because either the users don't know how to upgrade it or if you're at work the company may have a policy to not allow it to be upgraded.
The link at the bottom will tell you what I need to know :tup:
[/without trying to sound patronising]

So, do you still use IE6 and in what capacity ? Do you have the option to use another browser or to upgrade IE ?

Feedback appreciated as at the mo around 13% of the sites visitors log as IE6 and I don't particularly want to put off any users let alone 13%. On the other hand, progression shouldn't really be avoided due to those who don't want to move on. Some may be stuck on IE6 due to company policy or it may just be they're not aware of how to upgrade or using other browsers.

Here's the questions then.

So, do you still use IE6 and in what capacity ?

EDIT 1

If you click this link it will tell you what browser you're viewing the page with :tup:

http://www.thismachine.info/

Tis just a survey i'm doing lol :D

This is the info I need

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only bit off you post i understood was theres a new site coming out.

related to that is there any point in putting up pics if this sites dissapearing or have i read computer speak wrong.
Nope mate, this site isn't disappearing, it's expanding :tup:

Nothing will be lost and no animals will be harmed during the process :D

Just expanding the site and re-designing the look slightly.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. Basically, if you don't use IE6 then tick the nope option in the poll at the top.

If you do use IE6 in some level then choose the most relevant of the options on the poll :tup:

If you use it a little at work but mainly at home then go for the home options.

What i'm trying to work out is if the majority of that 13% that use IE6 are registered users and whether I can work to get everyone onto a higher version or whether the new site design needs to lose some of the features in order to work on everyones machines instead.

I'd prefer the upgrade route personally rather than have to make the site a little worse to compensate for an 9 year old piece of software ;)

·
My name is Martin
2,611 Posts
I hardly ever use IE6. Laptop at work has it as default browser but I put Firefox on through the backdoor.

Anyway, my info from mymachine if you want it

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.16) Gecko/2009120208 Firefox/3.0.16 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts