Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Hi Folks
I shopped around for a brake pedal assembly for this job , but it seemed like I would be just modifying most of it to fit my needs. So as usual I figured I would make one on my own.
I started with some 2" wide 1/4" thick flat plate, and 1"1/2 OD round tube with a 1"3/8 ID
and for the pedal it self I am using 2" x3/8 plate .

It was easier for me to take two pieces of tube and tig them together and with the inside edge machined and butted up it leaves a nice area for grease to hang around in and keep the pedal shaft lubed.....

Now I have to make a mount for the pedal to hang from but keep it so it can be removed.
Here I am tig tacking the pedal sleeve on the shaft so I can machine two flats in .

The flats supply a place for the head of the threw bolt to sit flat.

After two flats were finished I used my protracker to give me my 90 so I could drill threw square.

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
After which I welded the mounting sleeve but not before I index the tube to the pedal plate.

I did this so I would know that my threw bolt would hang 90 degrees to the ground, so if for any reason it should come loose it wouldn't fall out.

More coming soon :)

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Ok Folks
This morning after a few cups of coffee I figured I had to start my day under the dashboard to make some preporation for mounting the new pedal assembly.
After holding it place were I had predetermend I wanted it to hang from I started by making a few scribe lines and went to making some attachments.

The angle I am holding the bracket , matches the scribe line I put in the assembly when I held in place.

The bracket in the above photo will hold the assembly in place fastened to a brace ( in the photo below ) that was already in place from the factory.

I tacked the bracket in place and headed back under the dashboard to see what, if any changes had to be made.

I'm happy with the location so now I need to make it so I don't have to rely on the clamps to hold it in place.
I removed the facyory brace and milled an oblong whole to set a carrage bolt and still have some adjustment.

Now that I have it bolted in place I can start to work on the braces that will hold it steady to the firewall.

I pre-drilled a hole in my firewall brace and now all that I have to do is drill threw from the engine side of the firewall.

Well now I don't need six sets of hands and I have established were the assembly will go My jib gets a bit easier from here. Keep watching more coming soon................:cool:

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Thank you for your comments. :D
Well this morning I crawled back under the dash to recap were I left off last eve and figures I was going to trim some fat off my pedal swing arm and drill the remaining hole in the firewall.
This area marked in red hangs back towards the dashboard and adds no addition support , so away it go's

Here it's cut off and now ready for welding.

After welding I dressed the area to relieve any sharp edges and make a flatter fit.

Here is Before

And After

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
OK Folks , here is the swing arm for the actuator rod I just cut out of a piece of .250 x 2inch flat plate and rounded the edge along with cutting an 1.500 diameter hole for the top swing assembly.

I like to finish off my edges it gives it more of that store bought look :D

I drilled a .750 hole for the rod end bolt to slide threw.

Now I can get the swing arm welded together.

Ok I forgot to take a photo or two , I hung the assembly with the actuator rod in place and that told me just were to drill the center hole for the master cylinder.

The piece I am using to set my level on is for a frame mount master cylinder
bracket and worked nicely to gauge were my bolt threw holes needed to be.

Now you can see just how nice things line up, I am going to put an additional piece of 10 gauge plate on the out side of the fire wall .
The firewall will be getting an alluminum cover to clean things up and the 10 gauge will be a brace to keep the firewall stiff and be a shim for the alluminum to sit flat and even with the reveal lines in the firewall......:)

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
brake pedal time

Here is what I came up with for the brake pedal.......

I took the upper portion of the pedal and machined a detent 38.1 mm long 50 mm wide and 4.7625 mm deep.......

Now for the bottom part of the pedal.

Now I need to make it look more like a b-pedal

Now it took some belt sanding and some dremel with a flap wheel to clean up my poor experience in machining....:roll:
Now I have to fit it to the upper and machine a detent in it so it will mate up nice and tight.

It fit nice and snug, and won't be to detectable when together that it started as two sepperate pieces.

And here is were it will hang out. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.