Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I won a competition a while back, and won my self a Yamaha xt125. well... kinda. (quite a few things missing)

picked it up 21/3/09. and been playing with it since.

have some pics :)

as it was waiting for me to pick it up:

and after I played with it a little:

and the two projects:

and have a video of it running. I need to make a new one, but this will go for the moment.

decided that I'm going to use the original xt125 frame.easier. has everything that fits. and the frame looks stronger.

so... started off with this:

cut it around to make it look like this:

which turned into this:

which evolved into this:

Do you like my unique side stand? :p

FORKSS!!!
:)

the fronts a little high... but i'll make it work.
front brake works and for no apparent reason, I made the clutch work too. :)
cut down the stand to make it so it actually has a stand thats of some use.

bought this as a parts bike. complete bike apart from keys and registration docs.

then took the front off it.. and it went onto mine.. as well as the rear wheel.. lowerd the bike back down quite nicely. and gave it a nice look. though I'm not too sure in the front mudguard...

yummy ;D

then I set about removing this lot. and putting it on mine.

almost all done now.. electric wise.

still a baby compared to my dads though. lol.

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lights?

I has them :cool: ;D

you may also notice that the front mudguard is gone :)

finally work on the hard tail.

first job was to swap the swing arm with the one off the sr250.

then cut it and extend it by 7 inches.

then brace it and tack the top bars into place.

then bend and tack the lower beams of the hardtail and remove the remains of the swing arm. then weld fully (after checking that everything that was inline, level and straight.)

then dump everything back on so you can begin to see the scale of things.. :D

made all the bracing for the back. :)

then my dad thought it'd be funny to nick my camera and take photos of me..

think I'm gonna end up using pistons out of the old pop engine as brake/ tail lights and indicators (both incorporated in one)

I likeee itt :D

the seat.. sprung by 2 leafs out of the front spring of the pop. held it just right, and is nice and is just right for the job :D the front of the springs are set into the front bar to hold it a bit more secure. will be making a clamp to hold the back of it next week when I get some aluminum :)

my dad likes to take photos of me making sparks. lol.

then I got it out of the jig and outside :)

cut. tack. weld. cut. tack. weld. cut. tack. weld.

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
using a different tank now.. just 'cause it its the bike better in my opinion. :)

How sexy is that?? I'm well happy :D :D

its nice to have the garage back. lol

rear mudguard

take a normal trailer mudguard... cut slices into the sides so you can fold it together to get it to the right radius for the wheel...

tack together and cut a lump off the end.

then cut 1.5 inches out the middle to narrow it.

weld up and grind down...

picture of the whole bike...

and my latest photo shopping (at the time), which its looking like it will be the finished product.

I now have the bike up and running again... :)
but there's a difference.. I now have the 250 exhaust manifold on it... boy does it sound better!
there is a restriction in the pipe taking the diameter of the internal pipe down to what it is on the original 125 manifold. so no loss of back pressure there :D

and the addition of a cherry bomb (originally got for the pop but its now been donated to the bike fund.. by myself.) that slots onto the exhaust exactly right.. makes it sound perfect. thought it may be a little loud.. so I might be making some mini baffles to go inside the exhaust just to quiet it down a little (it will be ridden around a cop infested town for the majority of its life... and I don't fancy a £30 fine for what could be a few mins cutting and welding. ;) )

also I de-seamed the tank.. just for a cleaner look... that took ages. and in the process made a new rear mound for the back half of it..just trying to work out where to put the front ones..

on to the pics!

and now.. I need your help.
colour choice for rims... ::)

black....

or chrome?? (you may also spot the tops of the forks are also black/ chrome.. this will depend on the rim colour in the future. :) )

thats all for today.. the exhaust will be messed around with soon. as well as more brackets to hold things like the cdi, horn, rectifier, flasher relay.. etc etc.... this will be fun... ::)
more as it happens people..
-Liam

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay. there is an update to this, only a small ish one, but its one none the less.

But.. im not going to say what i did until tomorrow, when i'll add what i'll hopefully of completed.

i shall leave a couple pics and you guys can have a go at guessing whats been done if your bored...

:D :D ;) ;)
-Liam

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here are pics of what ive been up to..:

chain

paint

played with the tank

tidied wiring a little..

fitted the air filter

and started playing with the battery box... :)

and done more grinding today... and more tidying of wires.. onto lights soon :)

but heres how it stands at the moment.. :

more tomorrow.. i hope..
-Liam

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay. for the past week or 2, ive been manicly working on it, making it look like this:

i was getting it ready for the NASC street rod nationals.where i gave it a shakedown run. found a few faults.. when i got back (after catching up on some much needed sleep) i went up to the garage to see the extent of damage.

after having a huge petrol leak, the petrol took a disliking to the paint on the frame..;

the chain rattles around a little too much for my liking, its attacking the battery box hinge and the frame. but a tensioner or two should sort that :)

i got a good 8.5 miles done before getting moaned at though :)

also the wiring needs looking at, need to move a wire... then all should be well :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Why are there no replies on this thread ? Excellent work Liam , keep at it :tup:

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cause it aint shiney enough or something? i dunno.. haha

cheers mate. hope to see ya soon, will be with ma dad when he picks up the striping kit :tup:

-Liam

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
Why are there no replies on this thread ? Excellent work Liam , keep at it :tup:
Yes indeedy. Looks soooo much better as a hardtail. :tup: Although you might want to think about a couple of springs under the seat. Or maybe it's just being old and having a rickety back that makes me say that.

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes indeedy. Looks soooo much better as a hardtail. :tup: Although you might want to think about a couple of springs under the seat. Or maybe it's just being old and having a rickety back that makes me say that.
cheers mate. :D

its hard to see from the pics.. but the seat IS sprung. via 2 leafs of a pop front leaf spring. tis amazingly comfy, with all the time riding it around at the nats.. the only time i felt a bump was when i practically became air born!!

gonna be even better when i get a little bit of padding on it :D

-Liam

·
Registered
778 Posts
cause it aint shiney enough or something? i dunno.. haha

cheers mate. hope to see ya soon, will be with ma dad when he picks up the striping kit :tup:

-Liam
Oh thats a point , better have a dig in the garage ...

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
We gave it a big thumbs up when you drove it past our camp at the Nats. I like it even more now i've seen the build up. Your bike, along with the VW Rod and the black VW were very much in the spirit of the Nats. Young people having a good time with stuff that they had worked on. You would be surprised that a gang of old guys who have quite a selection of different stuff between them appreciated your efforts, if we had seen you stationary we would have told you.
Well done.

Rog.

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh thats a point , better have a dig in the garage ...
haha - your money is with ivor. he's done his part ;)

We gave it a big thumbs up when you drove it past our camp at the Nats. I like it even more now i've seen the build up. Your bike, along with the VW Rod and the black VW were very much in the spirit of the Nats. Young people having a good time with stuff that they had worked on. You would be surprised that a gang of old guys who have quite a selection of different stuff between them appreciated your efforts, if we had seen you stationary we would have told you.
Well done.

Rog.
aww shucks. thanks!! thats one of the best things some ones said about anything i've done.. :D

would of been good for us 3 to park up together though, wouldn't it?

where were you camped then?

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
father sends his thanks and is looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.. maybe :cool:

you up the forest on the 13th? or are ya working?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dunno yet chap , have to wait and see ;)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
No comments ? Only because I hadn't spotted it until now...great stuff and good to see young guys keeping the spirit alive. Onto the Pop shortly then ? ;)

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No comments ? Only because I hadn't spotted it until now...great stuff and good to see young guys keeping the spirit alive. Onto the Pop shortly then ? ;)
the pop will be worked on again when this in done and on the road. :tup:
but until then.. gotta work real hard to get this thing done and on the road asap.

Ratty - father has retrieved the kit. he's well happy with it. and sends his thanks yet again, and asks if your sure that the money that you asked for was enough. it will be put to use soon on my this project :tup: :D

update on the bike is that the electrics (seem to be) sorted.fuel leak should/ might be sorted. just gonna clean things up and stuff so its presentable /ridable for the picnic in the forest.

the next few days are gonna be interesting...

updates soon :)

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
almost done, on the fabrication side of things...

only things left to make are a rear light + plate mount and to make a proper front tank mount, rather than a piece of foam.

then its all down to filler, paint and paper work.

all rather exiting. got our own show to do this weekend, so i've tidied it up again so it looks pretty good..

little bit low?

tis all for now ;)
-Liam

·
young 'un
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have an L plate...(made by hand.. )

and i have an exhaust with baffles(currently using 1st and second baffles together but making a new one :))...

L plate and number plate and light all done and on the bike (yet i need to take the brackets off and paint them.. but that wont take long :)

for the curios amongst you...
this is what it sounds like... (for now.... :) )

okay, so it was my birthday monday. so i got money.. used this money to get all my bulbs + things that i need, and battery and more black paint..
i also got bought indicators too :).. so i was pretty set...im still not quite done, but shouldnt be too much longer.. :)

i took apart the rev counter as it didnt seem to work.. and i ended up making it work, but it was ever so slow to react.. so i've dropped it.. will be making a new bracket for the speedo today..

this is what its going to look like (something like it) when its done :)

really military-ey, awaiting the orange..

finished up and sprayed my speedo / light bracket..

got the rear indicator brackets made, and welded on, and painted..

indicators in position, and painted back wheel... looks sweeet 8)

gauge /lights in place on bracket..

over all..

re assemble everything painted tomorrow :)
looking forward to it!

-Liam

1 - 20 of 47 Posts