Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

BURN OUTS WITH SPOKED WHEELS ! Is this a good idea ? What say you.

773 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Shedster 
#1 ·
Right Im in the middle of building my 31 Tudor. Ive got a flathead with a SCoT blower.This is at the put back together stage.So im starting to think about wheels. Now I do have a bit of a hard on for spoked wheels.But im concerned about when I light them up im going to shag them. Now steelies are great and i'll go for them if getting spokes is going to be a pain in the arse.
So do you know anyone whos ripped up or buckeled a set up ? Or is steelies the way to go ?

#4 ·
Which is maybe the reason why they don't put spoked wheels on brake testers for the MOT, they have to use a Tapley meter instead?

If you're racing I'd have thought a decent launch would put more stress on a wheel than a burnout? Once the wheel's spinning it's taking far less torque than when it sets off rom rest. Also bear in mind the likes of Mercedes and Auto-Union were putting over 500bhp through spoked wheels on their racers back in the mid-Thirties... Mind you, as Crusty says, they'd have been new wheels, not 70 year old items.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.