Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 2013 model with 900 miles on the clock.
If i made an offer i would need to pay import duty and vat.
would customs and excise charge me based on the value on the receipt, or would they value it?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
I'm presuming it's already in this country ? Tread carefully on this one as I'm sure they get dispensations /discounts etc that can make it very difficult, if not impossible to register. I'd speak with Customs first as that is the first stumbling block, make sure you explain about it being from US personnel serving here .

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,719 Posts
ive bought trucks from guys on the base before, usually the stuff is registered/sva'd but they had to pay the duties before the car could be released. May be different if the cars been registered here 3 years as its then personally owned but your Mustang is too new obviously

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
ive bought trucks from guys on the base before, usually the stuff is registered/sva'd but they had to pay the duties before the car could be released. May be different if the cars been registered here 3 years as its then personally owned but your Mustang is too new obviously
I bow to your hands-on on thsu one :tup:

I know with ex USAAF base stuff it is normally sold on ONLY for breaking hence me urging caution.

·
1,719 Posts
I bow to your hands-on on thsu one :tup:

I know with ex USAAF base stuff it is normally sold on ONLY for breaking hence me urging caution.
I've never bought one that wasn't already registered so couldn't comment on that, I know there's a firm on Ebay, RAMCO I think that advertise non registered base trucks supposedly with the paperwork to register. I think you have to be careful buying any unregistered vehicle these days

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense if the vendor has to pay the duty otherwise there is no way of enforcing it once the v5 is in the new owners name.
At least the vendor only pays duty on what is written on the receipt.
Hopefully talking to vendor later, pukka hpi check should cover me for pretty much everything else ?

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Be careful as an HPI check won't tell you if the car is financed by a foreign finance company and if it is then legally I believe the car will be the property of the finance company until a certain amount is paid off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i spoke to hmrc c&e, vendor needs to pay vat and duty on base and get receipt from the station office to prove it is paid. Dvla hold note on system to ensure log book can't be signed over until duty paid, so that answers that!
It deffo has a loan against it, not sure how a yank bank could repossess it over borders?
Seems risky way of potentially losing 20g

·
1,719 Posts
On any late model Yank car that hasn't been here since new you need to run the VIN through Carfax, the American HPI, you'd be amazed how many have bad history or altered milages

1 - 10 of 10 Posts