Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

im looking to buying a car in the US and bringing it over, im really wanting to do this myself and have a couple of questions.

Im happy with the shipping and what happens in the uk, however its the actual purchase i have a few questions.

say im buying used from a dealer, do i have to pay the sales tax seeing as im going to have the vehicle exported? also im a bit unsure of what they're calling registration fee? is this for new cars only?

ive found out loads about the shipping and conversions, but no one ever covers how they bought the car in the first place

Many thanks

Martin

·
Registered
145 Posts
looking for a good deal ?

A lot depends on what type of vehicle you have in mind to purchase :- New, current [mustang/camaro/ mopar,] Second-hand Muscle-car, HOT-rod or Classic the situation changes with the territory. Different dealers have various facilities to help you and others have little idea outside of their own little arena. Also your anticipated area of operation has a strong bearing on getting results in your favour. Florida or California are convenient but a little crowded and/or competitive price wise. Buying from the public can be entertaining but is full of pitfalls for the inexperienced so take advice on that one,
Dealing with a High St retailer is an experience that you will never forget, talk about stressful {It is an event tinged with migraine]
Tell us more about your plan ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Martin I bought my elcamino in California,used an agent out there,Steve Manson,stress free,he arranged to get the car collected and delivered to the shipping port,then shipped to uk and delivered to his sisters buisness,in derby, stress free,took 6 weeks from me seeing car on Craigslist to it sitting in my garage

Cheers stu

·
Vendor
3,437 Posts
if you buy it from a dealer you should,nt have to pay any sales tax since its being exported some states dont have sales tax to begin with & some states do not issue titles for vehicles older than 1975 , registration is the equivalent of road tax if its in dealer inventory it will already be registered & no reg fees will be due , the dealer should be able to arrange delivery to a shipper give them the documents & you,re on you,re way, if you buy it from a private party its simply a matter of handing over the title & a bill of sale to the us agent who will submit the documents to us customs , i,ve been selling classics overseas from california since i moved here from the uk 34 yrs ago , let me know what you are looking for & i can help you with it from start to finish or give kevin hill a call at hill shipping he,s based in sheerness , he will also arrange the whole thing for you if you prefer to do it that way , if you find something over here & need a go between let me know i can talk to the dealer for you , we sold 54,000 vehicles through our auction house under our dealership in redwood city ca until we closed it about 2 yrs ago ,if you require any further info feel free to send me a pm or email [email protected] you can also go to my website raysclassics.com cheers RAY A in sf

·
Registered
33 Posts
Myself and a number of my mates can recommend Ray in the states. Over the years he has sourced, inspected, handled the purchase, sorted out the shipping and all the paperwork of over 20 vehicles. Which just leaves us to collect from the docks, it couldn't be easier.............. Having someone there you trust who can check it out for you is a must, what with so many scams going on nowadays......... He's always there to help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One word - TITLE

Make sure that whatever you are buying comes with a title, and that the VIN on the title matches the vehicle. All sorts of expense if it doesn't, up to and including total loss.

The rest of it is dead easy. Call Alan, Mark, or Steve at Kingstown Shipping in Hull and just give them the pickup address and contact details, then sit back and wait for the delivery truck to drop it off at your door. If you tell them Gordon sent you they will add 5% to the price.

You probably want to watch the value of what you are buying too. It costs the same to move a scrap car from the US to your house as it does to make a hugely expensive one. Too cheap a vehicle and it isn't really worth spending all that money moving it. Too expensive and the import charges here will kill you.

Finally - worth identifying any bits that are missing or wrecked and paying someone to find them and stick them in the back of the vehicle before it is shipped, this will save you a fortune in postage and handling for the same bits later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts