Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info on r/h drive late 60,s chev front clip?.I have one on my van but looking to convert if poss to r/h drive box and pump ?Havent a clue how to sort this problem as it has been built with the original transit van manual steering box which is useless.:sniff:

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
More than welcome to come and have a look at my Pu if it helps? The front end sheet metal is stripped off and should make it easy to measure thinks up.

Think you are going to struggle using a camaro box as the mounting boss are cast into the case.

Did Chevy ever make rhd Gen 2 Camaro?

P.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Intresting question,i dont think such a thing was ever made -but you never know ?>,Bry

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You could try using a chevy truck steering box as they fit outside the chassis the mounting lugs are on the other side.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If im honest i havent a ruddy clue where to start .All i can say is the box fitted now is mounted on the chassis rail it is totally worn out and now that its jacked up it hit on the idler.What i could do if anyone can help me is take some pics of what i have got on my digital camera and send them to one of you guys to post on here.The guy i brought it from said it was temporary as he has had to cut and reweld the connecting arm to convert it to r/h steering box.The box crunches and makes an awful racket.

He did spend alot of time at the scrappys and suggested i think a calibra rack and convert it over but i cant see how you could connect it to the steering as the axle it is tucked up under the rover v8 engine.By the way it is a bit radical grafting this front clip under a mk2 transit. Only reason he did it was to get 5 stud wheels to match that of the jag rear he reckoned he has spent 6 months underneath welding her which i can believe. cheers for all the help so far.:tup:

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Offer still stands if you want to drop round and have a look at my one before I bolt the front end on.

P.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a right hand drive 67 Camaro, it had the original steering box and two gearboxes one at the bottom of the steering shaft by feet then a enclosed shaft across the bulkhead to another gearbox from that into the original steering box it worked o.k and past the m.o.t. There was a company in the 60s-70s that converted Mustangs to right hand drive, but dont know there name or if they are still around.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,739 Posts
I had a right hand drive 67 Camaro, it had the original steering box and two gearboxes one at the bottom of the steering shaft by feet then a enclosed shaft across the bulkhead to another gearbox from that into the original steering box it worked o.k and past the m.o.t. There was a company in the 60s-70s that converted Mustangs to right hand drive, but dont know there name or if they are still around.
Wasn't the Mustang conversion company Ruddspeed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the right hand drive gen 1 and 2 camaros came in from Oz so yes they were built by GM but not released over here, might need to find an importer from down under or possibly South Africa as they are RHD too. Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts