1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Another rich prick that says he understands the working man:wanker:

·
Registered
872 Posts
The Great British Public had a chance to change things for the better - but they seemed to prefer to follow Murdoch's press dictates. Such is life..... :tdown:

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
The Great British Public had a chance to change things for the better - but they seemed to prefer to follow Murdoch's press dictates. Such is life..... :tdown:
But just imagine how much sh*t Murdoch's press will be chucking at Proportional Representation if we do ever get to vote on it in a referendum - we can't have a political system where every vote counts now, can we?:roll:

·
MarkT
1,117 Posts
As mentioned above the country had a chance for change and they have so give the Blues a go they cant do much more damage than Brown and his gang :wanker:

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
As mentioned above the country had a chance for change and they have so give the Blues a go they cant do much more damage than Brown and his gang :wanker:
The trouble is the country didn't vote for change, it voted for bugger all and while being feted as the 'king maker', Nick Clegg's party lost as much, if not more of it's 'mandate' than the Labour party. Listening to comment on the radio yesterday on a tediously long drive, I was astounded by the number of callers who were strongly anti a Tory/Lib Dem coalition, on both sides of the potential marriage made in hell.

I still think we could be back at the polls, sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think the way it seems to be panning out at the moment is the best we could expect once the results were known. A Lib/Lab minority government would never have held water, and at least the Tories didn't get a full mandate. Clegg seems to have played it reasonably well - so it looks like we're gonna get the £10,000 minimum tax threshold and lose the inheritance tax raise for example. We'd never get PR whatever happened either, so a referendum on A/V was the best we could hope for at this stage.

We've got what we've got now anyway - still a bit of bickering to go on yet I reckon, but for good or bad, a Lib/Tory pact was the only real game in town given the way people voted. Let's hope for the best anyway, and wish everybody well of whatever political colour - times are gonna get real hard before too long, that was always on the cards...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
I agree with what you are saying Odgie but the problem now is potentially that a huge number of previously disenchanted, normally Labour, voters who opted for Lib Dem as part of a protest vote will now find it hard to justify that decision again, if faced with another election in the short to medium term. I heard so many comments on the radio yesterday from staunch Lib Dem supporters and previous Labour supporters who were aghast that their votes would now secure a Tory government, not to mention the die hard blue rinse Tories who believe that Cameron has sold out, I find it hard to believe that this coalition will stand the test of time. We won't see PR in this parliament, sadly that means that the farce we have endured for almost a week now could become a regular feature of British politics.

Good? Bad? I don't know to be honest. I doubt that most of the electorate does either.

·
Legs and heels subscriber
756 Posts
inheritance tax ?? should be abolished, as with a shit load of other mediocre tax schemes like fuel surcharge :D if they want the majority of small businesses in the UK to at least keep their nose a mm or so above the shit during the recession recovery that has to happen somehow...erm
even the big players going out of business, all living on borrowed expense but thats how it is so for the banks to fk up and pull in the reigns only passes the buck to someone else to suffer.

As I said somewhere else I like DC as a speaker but he's the monkey in front of the cameras and will protect the rich....IT...

Inheritance tax was IMHO aimed at the financially solvent crowd, now it affects a lot more people than ever....drawn into the unsuspecting web...
The average geezer who owns his once inexpensive council house that was bought for 30grand 20 years ago and now valued at 300 grand due to our own faults now comes into the playing field.... poor geezer pegs it and next of kin have to pay the govt a wad of money !!! because value of assets is above the bar that hasnt moved with inflation ......
The old saying that your worth more dead is true !! but the harrowing fact is not enough people pay attention to the small print.
A lot of this shit should be ironed out for sure, but not at the expense of the voters and tax paying working class brits...

Lets go to rants.............oh theres a queue :) keep smiling

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Gordon Brown a self confessed social engineer, he has spoiled the lives of tens of thousands who have had no incentive to work and no way to feel pride in their achievements.

He has financed this 'engineering' with, apart from a punitive tax system, stealth taxes and spurious 'green' taxes. When will any UK government let the people decide how to spend the fruits of their own labours?

Us lot, whichever way we vote will always have some satisfaction in life, we may not build a show winning car, we may not run a 6 sec quater but we have satisfaction in our cars and our like minded friends.

To me whoever 'wins' the election cannot do a worse job than Brown, he has squandered a strong financial position and taken the satisfaction and pride from a whole generation.

Just my opinion.

Rog.

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
I'll put my Tu'pennies worth in. As Rog said, we were financially strong when Labour came in last time. Now I cant get my head round where all the taxes we have paid have ACTUALLY gone. I know about immigration ( don't get me started on that one) but from being a powerful nation to getting on the brink of bankruptcy is crazy.
Someone (or persons) has gotten extremely rich out of this! We, the commoners, and I don't care what anyone thinks, the Government still treat us like plebs as they did in the dark ages, to be Pawns in their game, to work and pay even more taxes to get us out of this shit.
Yeah, lets have a load of cuts in the NHS and other sectors, more people out of work = no money = no spending = heading for another recession!!:shake:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts