Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
loving my v8's
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one help shed any more light on picking up a fresh import from the docks? I understand that I can insure it on the vin number and can drive directly home with or without American plates, is this correct?:bigsmile

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Would you like it to be your wife or kid that gets killed when a 20 year old sun cracked tyre blows out or brake hose bursts or wheel bearing collapses. For all the vehicles ive imported from california not one was safe to drive as imported.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
You are not supposed to but it is habit forming, I drove one home on Minnesota plates and enjoyed it so much that I drove on them for another 3 years.

Rog.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Did it with a 57 chevy from liverpool in 89 it had no side glass,wipers , primered + other things ,told by importer it was drivable :wanker: ,pulled out the dock to be greeted by 2 motor cycle cops and 4 cars,who then pointed and laughed ,crapped myself all the way home to stourport,trailered everyone since.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
Forgetting any safety/reliability issues for a minute, what is to stop you insuring it on the VIN number and driving it from the docks to a pre-booked MoT near home? You can drive a UK based car with no tax/MoT for a pre-booked MoT so why is an imported car different?

Having said that I wouldn't trust any fresh US import until it had had a thorough check over.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
There are two scenarios that you legally drive a car which isn't registered in this country ( and isn't a 'visiting' vehicle ). That's to a prebooked MOT or IVA .

As Jimmy has pointed out 99% of American cars have never had any form of safety inspection in their lives.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
guess it depends on whats been brought, if its a car that's all up and running, and been regularly used in the states, proberly no different to buying a car over here, and driving it home, but personally would rather trailer it home, then give it the once over. last one I picked up, hired a trailer with winch, from a plant company for about £80

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have but I wouldn't its a long way and rac ain't gonna cover you if you brake down. And unless its roll on roll off they drain the petrol at docks stateside and disconnect the battery and they are hamb fisted when draining fuel and do it by the easiest method possible cutting hoses snapping unions etc on 2 of my cars I have had to use an extracter to get the old fuel tank union out of the tank cause the dockers had just reached under and clean snapped it off the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
I've seen people on here say that it was legal to drive it to a pre booked MOT, and as anything pre 1960 no longer needs an MOT, you would assume it's okay to drive it home???
However, i doubt the pre booked MOT thing as not a single one is gonna pass as the headlights point the wrong way and anything post '65 will fail on the red rear indicators, not to mention that most have amber front sidelights which are illegal at any age!! So, I doubt very much that it ever was legal to drive an unprepared car from the docks to a pre booked MOT. How can you drive it there knowing full well it is a fail? Regardless, and also regardless of whether or not they need an MOT, they are ALL in breach of the C&U regs with the right dipping headlights, at the very least.
But as several of us have said before, any stateside inspections are a joke, and many (but not all) US sellers will tell you anything to complete the sale. After all, you're a long way away and you ain't gonna send it back, and you have no claim against them either. I could go on at great length about the poor and misleading descriptions I've had on my imports over the years, not to mention blatant lies, like "solid floors" when even the grainy picture sent to me showed the grass growing through the hole in the floor!!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
The "driving to a pre-booked MoT" is purely an exploited loop hole used to theoretically save transport costs, I say theoretically as the few I've seen probably wouldn't have got far! To be honest there are so many now offering transportation services it isn't worth the risk & probably not a lot more expensive than piloting a 12 mpg V8 for a hundred or so miles! I used Dusty last time and would happily recommend.

on the subject of amber side lights, didn't Land Rover Discoveries have amber sidelights on the front?

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
The "driving to a pre-booked MoT" is purely an exploited loop hole used to theoretically save transport costs, I say theoretically as the few I've seen probably wouldn't have got far! To be honest there are so many now offering transportation services it isn't worth the risk & probably not a lot more expensive than piloting a 12 mpg V8 for a hundred or so miles! I used Dusty last time and would happily recommend.

on the subject of amber side lights, didn't Land Rover Discoveries have amber sidelights on the front?
Not sure about the disco lights mate, I'll ask my bro as he's an MOT tester. I've used three different MOT stations for my imports and all three told me the same thing, one showed me the tester's manual. The only exception seemed to be a yellow sidelight incorporated into a yellow headlight, remember back when everybdoy taking their car to france used to paint their headlights with iodine?
I agree 100%, there are many guys doing transport now, though, some are not legal as they often use 3.5 tonners and I haven't seen one yet that can legally take a decent sized Yank car or pickup. You can normally get away with it using a trailer as you can go up to 3 tonnes gross on a suitable trailer behind a suitable tow vehicle and most trailers will be under 800kg. The lightest 3.5 tonner I've seen is 1.9 tonnes and I think that was optimistic myself, but hey, could be wrong.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts