Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has bought a 105E Anglia 1968 one of last ones made i think. They were Positive earth did the last ones be Neg earth. When he got it the man tried to start it turn over weak spark did not start. Any way my friend has the car at home and see the man had the Battary the wrong way round. Would it still turn over or would the starter go the wrong way round. Cheers Ken ps He is not sure what to do.
All sorted now thanks.

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
It can be done , you turn the battery around & flash a live current onto one of the terminals on the voltage regulator to repolorise that. It'd be helpful if I could remember which one. Beware though that all your switches will then be on the negative side of the load & it will be very easy to short things out if you are not careful. Also the radio won't work without reversing the wiring , it'll still need a positive earth.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that info. Went round to see the Anglia some check it out. Been converted to Negitive earth at one time al ok. Cheers again Ken.:tup::tup:

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
To re -polarise the dynamo to negative earth, use a piece of wire to touch your new positive live to the field terminal (the smaller of the two lucar connectors) on the dynamo. Job done. If you have a positive earth radio remove it before changing the polarity or you'll almost certainly smoke test it.

·
Nowheresville
3,145 Posts
I don't think starter motors care which way round - at least early Ford (flathead/banger) ones don't. It is common to change these cars from 6V +ve to 12V -ve earth and the starters continue to work fine, if a little faster!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.