Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nowheresville
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that car-derived vans (and pickups I presume) follow posted speed limits, whereas non-car-derived ones are something like 50 in a 60 limit and 60 on a dual carriageway. But how do you know if it is car-derived? Small Transit Connect vans aren't, but what about Vauxhall Combos - the Vauxhalls look like their car products? VW Caddies are presumably Golfs underneath, but what about Peugeot Partners, Fiat Doblo, Renault Kango, etc.?

Does it say so on the V5c somewhere? My Jeep Comanche is basically a Cherokee XJ pickup so I treat it as 'car-derived' when it comes to speed limits :) but I don't think there's anything to confirm that on my documents.

·
Registered
1952 Chevrolet 3100
430 Posts
its the weight it can carry. i had a VW caddy for work and becuase it could carry a certain weight, i had to follow the lower speed limits for such vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it not defined by gross vehicle weight ?
Up to 3000kg gvw
and over 3000kg / under 3500kg

The heavier weight being limited to 60mph on 70mph roads ?
And 50 in 60 zone ,
I think from memory, could be wrong
( Too busy to look in highway code, I am sure it's in there , but I seem to remember it from when I had a 3.5 tonne van)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,529 Posts
I have a similar situation with my Econoline pick up. In original form getting to any speed limit is the issue NOTworrying about breaking it.

The first offering in the Ford E 100 vehicle range was a passenger vehicle known as Falcon and it looks the same height width length etc as my pick up .

·
Registered
1952 Chevrolet 3100
430 Posts
i googled to remind myself, car derived or not, if the vans gross vehicle weight is more than 2 tonnes, its limited on national speed limit roads, 10mph less than a car or van under 2 tonnes.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,509 Posts
i googled to remind myself, car derived or not, if the vans gross vehicle weight is more than 2 tonnes, its limited on national speed limit roads, 10mph less than a car or van under 2 tonnes.
Are you sure it’s GVW? A lot of cars have a GVW (maximum weight) over 2 tonnes, my Volvo V90 estate is 2.35 tonnes from memory.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've seen something on the web where it says only things like Fiesta vans (hatchbacks with the rear side widows blanked out basically) should be down as car derived vans on the V5, but it's all down to what the suppling dealer registered them as when new. Both my Berlingo and my previous Vauxhall Combo are/were down as car derived van, but on the rare occasions I go anywhere it would be an issue I stick to the van limits anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts