Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a car no MOT or Tax can I tow with dolly / A frame or has it to be trailered.

Thanks Dave.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
has to be trailered , and dollys are only supposed to be used for recovering a broken down vehicle at 30mph max :whistle:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies , I read the DOT info sheet which states A frame + car = trailer this is such a gray area, prob best borrow a trailer and play safe.

Cheers Dave.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Thanks for the replies , I read the DOT info sheet which states A frame + car = trailer this is such a gray area, prob best borrow a trailer and play safe.

Cheers Dave.
A car on an A frame is classed as a trailer except the brakes have to work even if it is under 750kgs.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
also I believe with an a frame the car should be insured as it has two wheels on the road

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi
I've towed with an A frame many times on all types of roads including motorways, passed many police cars, never had a second look. Just made sure lights worked and towing vehicle number plate was prominent. Don't know if this helps?

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Hi
I've towed with an A frame many times on all types of roads including motorways, passed many police cars, never had a second look. Just made sure lights worked and towing vehicle number plate was prominent. Don't know if this helps?
Depends what you were using it for at the time, you can use them to recover a vehicle that has broken down otherwise it's treated as a trailer and has to comply with trailer brake and light requirements:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_200824.pdf

Towing advice | The AA

If the vehicle doesn't have tax/MOT/insurance etc then it can't have been on the road legally so couldn't have broken down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've towed all sorts broken down cars and basically barn finds never had a second glance from the police or AA and RAC breakdown services when in motorway services, all my lights work and correct number plate for towing vehicle, insured and non-insured cars been towed. Once towed a wreck of a car over 150mls including across the Seven Bridge on an A-frame no problems.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was caught out with the law and a frames etc, it took a trip to crown court to sort it out, you can legally tow a car on a dolly with the towed car having no mot etc, this is only achievable if the car being towed has either it's front wheels or rear wheels suspended on the dolly, and the dolly has to have brakes,

A frame on the other hand is a grey area, which the towed car again doesn't need to have mot etc, as when the A frame is fixed to the towed car it changes from being a car to a trailer, this does not require mot or tax but should be covered on the towing cars insurance for trailer, furthermore as the car being towed has brakes these must be connected to either the A frame or the towing vehicles brakes, so as the towing vehicle slows so does the towed vehicle, if the towed vehicle has no brakes fitted or have been removed the maximum weight for an Unbraked trailer is 750kg, if the "trailer" weighs over 750kg it has to have all axles braked, and if there are brakes fitted then no matter what the weight they have to work. Hope this info helps, and if you get I a sticky situation give me a shout

Ps if the copper knows his stuff (which mine thought he did) he WILL pull you and give you 3 points and a fixed £60 fine, and put a prohibition order on your towed vehicle, but as many police consider it a grey area they just don't want the hassle

·
Registered
891 Posts
has to be trailered , and dollys are only supposed to be used for recovering a broken down vehicle at 30mph max :whistle:
Sorry mate that's wrong it's 30mph limit applies on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise. 50mph applies on single carriageways unless signs show otherwise.60mph applies on dual carriageways and motorways.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im`e taking no chances now as don`t know the history of the car, knowing my luck a wheel bearing would go on the motorway or I would get a blow out + Iv`e got to move it 120 miles.
If I can`t borrow a trailer I have looked into hiring one today and can hire one locally for £65 per day so its a no brainer realy.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
......and don't forget a trailer is a LOT easier to reverse than a dolly with a double swivel (towball articulation and spec/bed articulation).

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Sorry mate that's wrong it's 30mph limit applies on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise. 50mph applies on single carriageways unless signs show otherwise.60mph applies on dual carriageways and motorways.
this is what i carry in my van and show the old bill every time i get a tug when towing with the dollie , don't know where i got 30mph from :shake:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....t-information-sheets/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

edit; just noticed the date , probably changed a dozen times since this :D

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
this is what i carry in my van and show the old bill every time i get a tug when towing with the dollie , don't know where i got 30mph from :shake:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....t-information-sheets/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

edit; just noticed the date , probably changed a dozen times since this :D
To me that says that it is perfectly legal to use a dolly to recover a vehicle but if transporting a vehicle it has to have brakes and suspension and the brakes of the wheels in contact with the road also have to work and even after all that there is a limit to how fast you can go, all the information in the document is a summary of the Department's understanding of what the law requires so ultimately it will be up to the courts to decide if an offence has been committed.

Dollies September 2011

The use of "dollies" is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation
of a vehicle from "A" to "B". Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers
when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is
suspended from the implement. When used for recovering broken down vehicles "dollies" are
exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is
capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination. However, if
"dollies" are used for the transportation of perfectly functioning vehicles they will need to fitted with
an operational braking system. Additionally the brakes on the wheels of the towed car which are in
contact with the road must work and meet the specified 50% braking efficiency required for a
trailer. The dolly would also be required by Regulation 22 of C&U to be fitted with suspension.
Regulations 19 and 22 in C&U permit a broken down vehicle to be recovered without complying
with these requirements. However, there is further legislation under the Road Traffic Regulation
Act 1984 that introduces a limitation on the maximum speed that the combination can be driven;
this is 40mph on motorways and 20mph on other roads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts