Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Miss Petrolhead.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know...my car is on the sale page.
Ive had so many enquiries that I was thinking of doing like an OPEN DAY type thing cos its a 4 hour round trip for me and OH to get up to where the car is stored.....and some potential buyers are over 100 miles away. I cant keep going up there and doing one viewing a day but on the other hand I don't want to get loads of people coming on one day and the first guy buys it.
Any suggestions from you guys? Yes Ive looked into getting it transported down here to me but I cant until I get a garage.
:S

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you wanted to be fair to folk that are travelling, you could make it clear that you are accepting bids which will be opened at the end of viewing...

Me? I'd consider it sold to the person with the cash!

·
Miss Petrolhead.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds good Jay....maybe I could do a 3hr slot and people come and look, they write a price on paper and hand it to us, ....at the end of the time we see who wants to pay the price we want, or close to, it and they get the car.....if the price isn't met unfortunately, they go home and we keep the car and do it all another day.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
my mate is interested in your car but I can't se him doing this.in my opinion if the car is described honestly and accurate the first genuine person who views with cash in pocket will buy it.give mr b a shout on here and strike a deal!

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
A few weeks ago I was asked to take part in such a thing A lady with some very desirable and in demand caravans for sale had them stored 100 miles away from her home had several people booked in for viewings the same day Some were travelling 400 miles I asked what would happen if I came along and bought them all at 10 am and the people from Somerset were nearly there? she couldn't answer that

I refused to take part in such a thing I offered her a price she was happy with over the phone and agreed to go see them with her to confirm her description was honest

it was a fair description and I paid the price agreed

If you want an auction put it on ebay or get an auction company

Otherwise decide what price you are happy with and dont muck people about buyers will get tired of it quick and dissapear

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
A few weeks ago I was asked to take part in such a thing A lady with some very desirable and in demand caravans for sale had them stored 100 miles away from her home had several people booked in for viewings the same day Some were travelling 400 miles I asked what would happen if I came along and bought them all at 10 am and the people from Somerset were nearly there? she couldn't answer that

I refused to take part in such a thing I offered her a price she was happy with over the phone and agreed to go see them with her to confirm her description was honest

it was a fair description and I paid the price agreed

If you want an auction put it on ebay or get an auction company

Otherwise decide what price you are happy with and dont muck people about buyers will get tired of it quick and dissapear
spot on Gary,
agree a deal in principle with the first person in line, subject to the car being as described and meet him there. The only way you have to do it all again is if you have not described it properly as the price has already been agreed.

·
Care in the Community
2,759 Posts
If you want bids then put it on eBay or in another auction, if you want to sell it privately then be prepared to put yourself out to meet potential buyers.

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
I'd vet your buyers well, ensure their not tyre kickers and have a deposit to bring. Plan to be still doing your trips or bring the car closer to home.

Maybe a long shot but why not put a post out for a temp garage space closer to home and ask about locally. If you plan to auction it through EBay it you'll most likely get folks wanting to see it. That could be a busy 10 days or so running around for you. Plus EBay really does suck at times.

Personally I'd find a garage space and just sell the car normally, i.e. first that turns up with the cash gets the car. Even renting a garage for 3 months would be cheaper than the costs in fuel/time and for me it's the time aspect that's most important.

Good luck, very cool car and if my numbers are up tonight i'll see you bright and early Monday morning to pick her up:D.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,131 Posts
I always try to be fair when selling cars but there are, unfortunately an awful lot of dreamers out there in the custom world.. I won't even take deposits,£50 etc is neither here nor there in showing TRUE interest. First with agreed amount ,within a set time , is the new owner. Unless of course it's a substantial NON refundable to hold only for reasonable specific time scale , say 14 days tops.

I allow people to come in the order in which they have contacted me but making sure they are aware of the above. I know it sounds arsey but I've 'sold' cars so many times only to have the usual excuses trotted out afterwards.:tdown:

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Kev TBH that's the easiest way all round. It has to be simple for buyers and sellers. I'll only take cash for a small non refundable deposit. It's either bank transfer or get them to pay the money into the bank prior to the vehicle going anywhere. Way too many dodgy notes flying about.

·
Miss Petrolhead.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is off sale now.....until I get it closer to home. Thanks for all comments...positive and negative. :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Kev TBH that's the easiest way all round. It has to be simple for buyers and sellers. I'll only take cash for a small non refundable deposit. It's either bank transfer or get them to pay the money into the bank prior to the vehicle going anywhere. Way too many dodgy notes flying about.
I never take large amounts of cash to a viewing. If I want it I'll offer an interesting deposit in cash, normally between 200 & 500 and then return the next weekend with the full amount, insurance arranged, etc.

The exception is auctions and when I went to South Wales to buy a Jag. Paid for it, drove it round the corner to a petrol station and then spent a stressful hour shopping around by phone to get the best insurance quote so I could drive it home :shake:

Not for everyone I suppose but that's the way I do it.

edit: And the Lightning, but then I was in love with that before I even left home :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts