Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,hope you can help,I have a couple of Carter 500 competition series carbs (circa 63)I am referbin Im having trouble with the pump plunger as the replacments I have do not seem to be big enough for the bore in the carbs.
I have tried edelbrock and carter replacement items and both do not seem to fit the bore correctly (loose)although the originals still seem to work,just,I did want to replace them.
Do you know if the originals would have run a larger plunger or has the original fabric on the plunger swollen and will the replacements do likewise ?
The edelbrock items are made of neopene material and would not swell.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
337 Posts
carb

i was told they were all the same size i have the carter re-biuld book i can have a look for you,i think i have some original ones here you are welcome to them if they are any good to you

cheers john

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi John here's some pics and thanks for the offer :tup: Have rebuild drawings for both edelbrock and carter but having looked again at the plunger the original does seem larger but no one seems to list a different size ?
Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Trevd Thanks for the offer,I might take u up on the book when I get all the parts together.
Satan on here has given me a contact that looks promising for the plungers im looking for.
Nice to see another local trev.
Thanks again :tup:
Dave

·
Registered
337 Posts
dude as far as i know the edlelbrock carb is just a copy of the carter now made in china so they should all be the same i will be at the essex swop meet if you want me to take the carter parts with me let me no

cheers john

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well spoke to the carburetor shop last week and gave them the info on the carbs (stamped numbers) and hey prestow the kits arrived this morning.
The plunger assy's fit like a glove so be carefull as there not all the same size
and the kit includes all screws for the air horn to body assy,butter fly's etc.
Well hours of fun putting these together.
Thanks again for all the advice you guys,especially Satan.
Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just run the Carters up today on the mustang all OK after getting rid of some air leaks.
Will try and fine tune um on the road next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts