Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1 in 3 theft claims being caused by theft of catalytic converters (up by 30% since March 2020), I thought I'd share some simple steps you can take to protect your vehicle:

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
Yep, after a recent income of 'folks' we've had a spate of thefts at the local hospital car park. Utterly disgusting, imagine the trauma of visiting a loved one only to find some dirtbags have hacked off your exhaust.

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
and they don't unbolt them so at least it'd be straightforward to replace, they cut them off presumably with a cordless sawzall/grinder. scum.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I don't get it really. When i removed the cats from my truck exhaust I just scraped the guts out of them and binned it. Wheres the valuable bit?

75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, after a recent income of 'folks' we've had a spate of thefts at the local hospital car park. Utterly disgusting, imagine the trauma of visiting a loved one only to find some dirtbags have hacked off your exhaust.
Sadly it's becoming more and more common. 4x4s and Japanese cars seem to be the most attractive targets to thieves. Here's an article from the AA: Catalytic converter theft | AA (theaa.com)

75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get it really. When i removed the cats from my truck exhaust I just scraped the guts out of them and binned it. Wheres the valuable bit?
According to the AA:
The metal case of the CAT contains a ceramic honeycombed structure providing a massive surface area across which the exhaust gases flow.
Precious metals – platinum, palladium and rhodium – are coated onto this ceramic structure as catalysts

·
Registered
893 Posts
When I had last had the misfortune to drive a vehicle that needed a catalytic converter, you could buy aftermarket ones for about £100 new. Therefore, I'm guessing the OEM ones must be a lot more valuable, and 4 x 4s provide much easier access. Another thing I don't get, is that when I go to the scrap metal merchant these days, they want just about every personal detail from me, bar my inside leg measurement, and then pay by bank transfer. In other words, how is this stuff fenced?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts