Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one near MK that does central heating. Would prefer to give money to one of us lot. Funny problem think it may be the room stat. I know FA about the elecrtical side of this so am stumped.
G

·
Registered
628 Posts
My bosses sun in law works for British gas he is a nice lad, I can pm the number if you don't get anyone else. He lives in stewkley so possibly not too far from you

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bosses sun in law works for British gas he is a nice lad, I can pm the number if you don't get anyone else. He lives in stewkley so possibly not too far from you
Stewkely is not too far from me. If you could ask him if hes interested I would be very grateful, and thanks for coming back to me.
G

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heating comes on when the timer trips in, but if you turn the stat down to stop it and then turn the stat back up it does nothing, not even start the fan. I know nothing about wring on this stuff so cant even have a guess. Also the stat is original (30 years old+) and has 3 wires to it. Cant figure out how to wire a new one even if I had it.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
If you're talking about the room stat then it's probably your motorized valve has gone tits up. The stat is only a switch that sends a signal to the motorized valve to turn on, which then sends another signal for the boiler and pump to kick in.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ta. I will have a play with the valve (got a manual lever on it) and see if thats the problem, never thought that might be buggered>

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
can you use a volt meter and do you have one
if so i can easily talk you through the electric side of things and tell you how to work out what bits at fault but russ is very prob spot on

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep got a voltmeter and I do know how to use the proddy things to see if its live. Used to use my finger but the wife says that the kiss of life isn't so appealing as it used to be. Got 3 wires to the Stat, so am assuming one is feed, one is switched live and the other is (maybe) earth.

What is foxing me is that the rads are warm in the morning after the timer has kicked in but the room stat has no effect. Mind you it is 39 years old and has been sounding 'buzzy' lately.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
If you move the stat you should hear the valve move......or at least try to. If you hear something then the stat is doing it's job. You can just change the head, but if its really old then change the whole thing as there is a rubber ball inside that can deteriate

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Darren's right. Best way to find prob in wiring center or terminal blocks near valve.

Prob syncron motor packed up. Don't be talked into " It will a new valve mate " , the syncron motor can be exchanged at a

fraction of price against new Valve.

But your prob sounds like the ball inside has worn out, so a new valve req. :smoke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts